Straight right leg on backswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian's video and instructional article dispel the myth about keeping the same amount of right knee bend on the backstroke, which is confirmed by viewing side view swing sequences of tour players.

In my case, I get much better results if I straighten my back leg all the way. Probably due to lack of flexibility. I can't manage a 45 degree hip rotation even with straight right leg. It feels like I am swaying to the right a lot, but checking in a mirror, I am rotating around my spine, with a very slight hip slide.

Is straightening the right leg completely, entirely the wrong thing to do? I don't slide a lot to the right, but it feels like I am a lot more loaded onto my right side, and that makes the downstroke more 'natural' and compatible with a hands controlled pivot where I don't have to think about every downswing sequence component. The only 2 thougths I have is loading the lag and keeping my upper body behind the ball on the downstroke. Whenever I have to think about anything in my lower body, I lose the loaded lag and I slide my body past the ball.

Thanks

My first introduction to a straight right leg on the backswing was from Mac O'Grady. It was one of his must dos. Snead and Hogan had straighter right legs then most.

Ben Doyle advocates a straight right leg. When asked by a flummoxed student, shaking his head in disbelief as to why, Ben said “for maximum participation.” It really snaps the hips into impact, the point of the swing Ben says to be the quickest.

quote:Originally posted by 6bee1dee

My first introduction to a straight right leg on the backswing was from Mac O'Grady. It was one of his must dos. Snead and Hogan had straighter right legs then most.

Ben Doyle advocates a straight right leg. When asked by a flummoxed student, shaking his head in disbelief as to why, Ben said “for maximum participation.” It really snaps the hips into impact, the point of the swing Ben says to be the quickest.

I pulled the following list of components for a 4-Barrel Stroke. I don't recall if the list appeared in an earlier edition of TGM or Homer Kelley's unpublished notes, but it appears that Mr. Kelley also recommended 10-16-A for that particular procedure...

1 - A - Overlap
2 - B - Strong Single
3 - B - Pitch
4 - D - Four Barrel
5 - E - Closed Closed
6 - A - Elbow
7 - C - Double Shift
8 - A - Standard
9 - A - Standard
10 -D - Dual Horizontal
11 - D-1 -Four Point Combination
12 - A - Standard
13 - A - Standard
14 - A - Standard
15 - A - Standard
16 - A - Standard
17 - A - Standard
18 - A - Standard
19 - C - Drag Loading
20 - E - Wrist Throw
21 - C - End
22 - C - Snap
23 - D - Top Arc and Angled Line
24 - E - Automatic Snap

quote:Originally posted by armourall

quote:Originally posted by 6bee1dee

I pulled the following list of components for a 4-Barrel Stroke. I don't recall if the list appeared in an earlier edition of TGM or Homer Kelley's unpublished notes, but it appears that Mr. Kelley also recommended 10-16-A for that particular procedure...

Great find. This is why having a book is crucial if you delve in the ways of the machine. :)

I believe instructors through the years veered from the 10-16-A because they found most students couldn’t properly return the bend to the right knee on the downswing.

Ben Doyle is the living link to Mr. Kelly, one of the few left. YODA is another and has added to the chronicles of The Golf Machine beyond anyone’s imagination these last months. I hope he identifies himself soon.

quote:Originally posted by ppt3

Ben would say 10-16-A is a must for optimum sit-down. Compare Snead, the best of all time.

ppt3, you are assuming that all of us out here are reading with a copy of The Golfing Machine at our sides. This simply is not the case. It would be very helpful if you would post your thoughts in words. You are like a priest who responds to questions by quoting chapter and verse instead of giving an answer. This forum is hard enough to understand due to the jargon used. The best posts are by those who have a thorough understanding of TGM and can translate into lay terms. I am eager to share your understanding of the golf swing, but you gotta speaka da English for this poor peon to understand what you are trying to say. :D

ppt3

New
10-16-A STANDARD This method involves extremes of action in both directions. That is, the Right Knee straight and the Left Knee bent at the Top Position and passing through a double Knee Bend (Sit-Down Position) on to the reversed condition of Left Knee straight and Right Knee bent for the Finish. This sequence produces the maximum Hip slant at each end of the Stroke.

Now go to bradyriggs.com and call up the pictures of Sam Snead and compare what Homer wrote in precise, clear English (not jargon at all)
and enjoy.

quote:Originally posted by ppt3

10-16-A STANDARD This method involves extremes of action in both directions. That is, the Right Knee straight and the Left Knee bent at the Top Position and passing through a double Knee Bend (Sit-Down Position) on to the reversed condition of Left Knee straight and Right Knee bent for the Finish. This sequence produces the maximum Hip slant at each end of the Stroke.

Now go to bradyriggs.com and call up the pictures of Sam Snead and compare what Homer wrote in precise, clear English (not jargon at all)
and enjoy.

Thanks!:)

Mike Austin recommends an extended but not locked right knee. Austin also has a huge sit down position in his downswing.

Lanny Wadkins rates right up there in middle iron play. He has less flex in his right leg than most and absolutely mashes mid-irons!

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by Curtis

Mike Austin recommends an extended but not locked right knee. Austin also has a huge sit down position in his downswing.

Yes, the knee straightening isn't about the knee, but how the hips move and fire AT the ball (inside back corner).... it is easier to fire the right hip properly, because you are in the right place

behind, inside, under

azgolfer,

I like to see the right knee flexed and rotated at the top of the backswing. In most cases, I would rather see it start rotated open, as opposed to kicked inward at address.

As you mentioned in your post, I love where DLIII ends up at the top, regardless of where he starts.

Redgoat

Status
Not open for further replies.