Hogan and Snead . Were they self taught?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hue

New
I have got the Hogan Vs Snead Shell's wonderful world of golf tape and have been looking at their swings. On Brady's Golf tips analysis of Goosen's swing he says Snead played a pull shot . Did Hogan and Snead have golf teachers or were they self taught? Thanks.

Mathew

Banned
Im not sure about Snead but I seem to remember that Hogan in his early years before he joined the tour had a teacher... but for the mass part was self-taught....

dss

New
Hue and Mathew- Both Mr. Hogan and Mr. Snead would be under the classification of "self taught". Mr. Snead had a brother, Pete, who was an excellent player, PGA Professional and known as a fine teacher. Mr. Hogan was given advice on course management by Henry Picard (as well as the assurance of $$$, if and when he ever needed some). These two things, course management knowledge and the assurance that he could have money if he needed it, turned Mr. Hogan 'loose' to become the champion we all know. All the players of that era seemed to help each other out on the practice tee, since none of them were getting rich playing the game back then. Also, please keep in mind that "practice" as we know it today, really didn't exist until Mr. Hogan came along. Those boys used to warm up with a few shots before going to the 1st tee, and then having a few drinks and some card playing in the locker room after the round.

Pro

New
Henry Picard was a fellow player, Marvin Leonard owned the department stores and helped fund Hogan at various times.

Todd

quote:Originally posted by Pro

Henry Picard was a fellow player, Marvin Leonard owned the department stores and helped fund Hogan at various times.

Todd

Picard also recomended Hogan for the playing professonal position at Hershey CC in Hershey, PA. Hogan dedicated his first book "Power Golf" to Picard.

Picard was a deciple of Alex Morrison (New Way to Better Golf, and Better Golf Without Practice). He also won the 1938 Masters and was fairly successful in the late 30's early 40's era.

hue

New
Is there any truth in the legend that Hogan worked a lot of things out about swinging the club from his hospital bed when recovering from his near fatal car crash? Thanks

No, Hogan had already worked out the bad hook before the accident. Marvin Leonard was also the man who built Colonial Country Club. Picard was probably the biggest influence on Hogan, but Hogan pretty much worked his swing on his own. Snead said his older brother was a great player but had a bad temper. Said he almost cried one time because his brother got mad and brok the shafts on the golf clubs that they shared. Most of the guys like Hogan and Snead were too poor to afford a teacher anyway.

Sam snead used to get very annoyed when people called him a "natural golfer". He used to reply, "are you suggesting that i havent hit as many balls as the next man" and " i worked very hard to master my swing" Methinks that even if he wasent totaly self taught, he certainly had a completely natural tempo. Posibbly the greatest golfer of all time in terms of longevity. even at the age of 84 he could shoot a score of 66! If it were not for his slightly suspect putting (in latter years he had to go to his famous, 'through the leg" croquet type putt, (banned by the uspga, then the "side saddle" method, after a case of the putters yips.)

At a young age, when Sam began to get serious about golf, he took some old club heads and put buggie whips in them as shafts. He said swinging them did wonders for his tempo (Longitutdinal Acceleration), the Rope Handle Technique of the "Swinger".

dss

New
An interesting "what if" for everyone out there...ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL, if Sam Snead had shot 69 in the 4th round of all the US Opens he played in, he would have won 9 US Opens!!!

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I never won an individual golf tournament.

Never.

But...if I shot 69 in the last round, I would have won dozens.

and here I sit....

quote:Originally posted by brianman

I never won an individual golf tournament.

Never.

But...if I shot 69 in the last round, I would have won dozens.

and here I sit....

....but...the teaching world may have had one less shining light.

Thanks Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.