Maximum Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you remember this system? John Schlee taught this system, based on lessons he had from Ben Hogan. You set up open, with the weight left, with the hands very low(with a big #3 accumulator angle). He wanted you to feel as if you keep the #3 accumulator angle throughout the swing. He developed the system based on a drill that Ben Hogan had him do.

I remember he had a training aid called "The Secret"... but I don't think that was actually Hogan's secret.

If Schlee's aid, "The Secret" is the same as Greg Norman's training aid, "The Secret", then it actually makes Hogan's secret impossible to execute. You have to have a cupped left wrist at the top in order to use Hogan's special move.

I think Norman bought the rights to Schlee's aid.

Mizuno and or Brianman... what actually is Hogan's Secret?

I saw John Schlee at a golf tournament in the early 70's...his woods were not traditional pear-shaped but in the form of a block..something similar to a 2x4....it was the oddest piece of equipment I've ever seen on a golf course (and I've seen the Pod)..

Were it not for Johnny Miller's final round 63 at Oakmont in 1973, Schlee would have been the US Open Champ. He was obsessed with the golf swing, as evidenced by duct taping his hands together in the Flying Wedges position before going to bed.

Schlee was an odd duck, but Hogan took a liking to him non-the-less. He said that the ultimate physical secret Hogan gave to him was what he refer to as The World Class Move: "On the downswing, your right elbow and right hand drop down onto a narrower tighter power plane. The sole objective is to allow you to bring to maximum level the loading of your right hand, right wrist, right arm and right shoulder as deep into the swing as possible. It requires relaxed supple wrists and a light grip pressure. As you reach the top, start the left knee and hip level left, you allow what feels like a reverse loop with your hands. This move is magnified by a pulling back and down with the thumb and index finger of the right hand. The hands and arms then come straight down and the right elbow dives onto the front of the right hip with the right palm facing the sky, putting you on your power plane. Hogan called this laying off the club."

"Hogan asked me to make a back turn, then hold it at the top. From behind, he put his hand on the club and pulled it straight down behind my back about six inches."

Take it for what it is worth.

Schlee used what he called a Dynamic weight shift. He wanted the weight to stay mostly on the left foot throughout the swing. The lower body action looked a lot like Hogan.

I believe he won The Hawaiian Open.

A few yrs ago at a golf show, I walked by a booth manned by a "Top 50" instructor. He was mesmerized by a video of Hogan. By the time the clubhead had just passed Hogan's right foot on the BS, he had TOTALLY moved over onto his left side. As soon as the club started back, his left hip would start moving to the left. For 5 mins I stood watching Mr Top 50 as he would rewind and replay while muttering to himself, "What's he doing?".

Maybe it was Schlee's dynamic weight shift.

quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

That is the OLD Sergio move. I think it's worth a lot - of more yds with a driver.
MJ,

Does this cause you to lead with the hosel, increasing the possibility of a s*ank?

Sand,

The hosel always leads - you can't hit the inside of the ball otherwise. The shank is a possibility in any swing when the feel of the SWEETSPOT is lost.

EdZ

New
Schlee's tape is a must see IMO. He takes many areas to 'extremes' that I wouldn't, however his knowledge is clear.

Brian, what do you think of his work?

How much of a shake up was his book/tape with Ben? Sure looks to me like he has TGM knowledge.

I use the system still. I find it helps me hit the ball more solid, additional distance off the tee, and great height on the ball with my irons. I got the tapes from my Dad in the 1980's and then found a golf pro who was a disciple of Schlee (he use to have a golf school for this system). The pro told me I was using the method effectively and should continue, but most people (I'm a single digit handicapper) could not hold the angle through the swing so the system simply was not working for the average golfer. I still have the VHS tapes and review them each year. I need to put it on a DVD to preserve it. Additional post talk about the Hogan secret...my understanding (I grew up at Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth) is that the actual secret was when Hogan took his back knee and moved it toward the ball on the downswing which drop his hands into the slot. Actually a book written about this, "Afternoons with Mr. Hogan" by Jody Vasquez. The cupped wrist was a part of this, but the knee to the ball was THE SECRET. What Schlee did in his system was to start you at perfect impact (knee flex at ball) and then do a backswing and return to that perfect impact position. You don't start at neutral...you start at impact. Hope this helps!

Schell system

I used Schlee system for 2 years, his 1-2-3 second count as you dropped into the fix position was a point of laughter from bystanders.
I hit the ball long off the tee with his method. I had a video tape but can't find it, wish I could.

I have the copy of the tape and a copy of the book. I still look at both of them sometimes. His drop into the power plane helps when I can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.