Thoughts on a flying right elbow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that when I try to keep my elbow by my side, I have a tendency to get flat on my swing. When I let my elbow fly(ala. Nicklaus), I'm in better position to support the club and keep on plane. I believe Homer said something about this, but I can't find it mentioned in TGM, anybody else have any ideas on this topic?

bobk

New
IMO the right forearm should be vertical (90* from the ground). When the right forearm is in this position it helps to position the left arm 90* from the spine angle in simple terms (yes, I know the spine has many different angles due to its structure).

I am here to learn, like the rest just putting in my 2 cents worth.

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by bobk

IMO the right forearm should be vertical (90* from the ground). When the right forearm is in this position it helps to position the left arm 90* from the spine angle in simple terms (yes, I know the spine has many different angles due to its structure).

I am here to learn, like the rest just putting in my 2 cents worth.

I think you will find most teachers teach the right forearm being parallel to the spine angle at the top . Think about it . You bend over the ball more with the wedge than the driver. This would mean that if you follow your advice of having the right forearm vertical it's relationship at the top with the rest of the body would vary depending on the club you are using. That does not seem logical to me if you want a consistent slot at the top.

Hogan and Nicklaus were in the same position at the top if you look at the relationship between the club and their flying wedges. The wedges are at right angles to each other on both players. Plane angle and shoulder turn angle will change what it LOOKS LIKE, but the fundamentals behind both players are the same. Lynn demonstrated this to me very well and actually used Hogan and Nicklaus as his example. Hogan really isn't "tucking in" his right elbow and Nicklaus isn't really "letting his right elbow fly out".

matt

New
Right elbow position at the top depends on the amount of right wrist bend. More bend = more "out", less bend = more "tucked." You can play around with the flying wedges and clearly see this relationship.

I don't like the feel of a higher right elbow mostly...but I like my swing to go around my body a little more. I try to model Phil or Vijay's plane.

It seems that a higher right elbow would suit a more upright or hitter's (??) swing...with a more downward strike.

Stadler also plays with a high elbow. I believe you are right, hitters will tend to have a higher right elbow, swingers a lower one.

4D1

New
Should one try to keep your elbows relatively close together at the top of the BS? Or should that not even be a swing thought at all? "Skinny" Brian's swing seems to stop short of parallel and his right forearm is vertical to the ground almost at the top.

Stadler also plays with a high elbow. I believe you are right, h
hitters will tend to have a higher right elbow, swingers a lower one.

can you explain what you mean by saying a hitter has a higher right elbow. higher????

You can also have a high right elbow and keep it pointing downward though...i.e., in a right-handed golfer, the right elbow can be higher than the left at the top but may not "fly," it will be more perpendicular to the ground.

I think. It is possible, however someone else may be able to comment on how efective it is.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Some golfers play BETTER if the LET the right elbow fly and then RE-'tuck' it into proper alignmnet on the downswing.

Sorta elbow loading and float loading combined.

quote:Originally posted by matt

Right elbow position at the top depends on the amount of right wrist bend. More bend = more "out", less bend = more "tucked." You can play around with the flying wedges and clearly see this relationship.
seems like it would be the other way aroung

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by jerry1967

quote:Originally posted by matt

seems like it would be the other way aroung

Not if you are maintaining your wedges and using your right forearm (elbow) to cock your left wrist

Our mind will make provision and forecast our next movement related to our balance requirement. (If we are standing on a train, just before the train stop - we lean back- do we feel the change of the speed or we are prepare for the change of speed) Think about if we are chopping a tree with an axe on a upright plane. Do we have to think about our right elbow tucked or fly? Would that be the amount of force and the balance requirement affecting the position/shape.
Direction of the force affect our balance and the balance affect our shape.
Could someone tell me the different between a chip and an iron swing, in relation to our elbow position. One require less force and one need more. Chicken or egg????
Form first or Function first??????
I am relatively new in this game, therefore please don't have a go a me, if I say the wrong things.

Status
Not open for further replies.