Right-sided swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think of this? It's the swing taught by Gary Edwin and used by Paul Casey, I believe.

The distinguishing feature of this swing style seems to be that you keep your weight on your front foot throughout the swing, and hence, never have to shift it forward as much in your downswing.

Here's a quote from this thread that sums some of it up:

"I am begining to understand where your theories have come from now, and it is one of the main differences between left and right sided swing. You think by holding on he has held the clubface open, thus verticle shaft (although its not verticle) through after impact. This is because you are used to seing the club go ''down and out'' with the flapping of the wrists etc . With a big stupid high right side follow through.

With Lambs swing he has stayed on his left side. And not moved back. He now does not have to get forward, so from here he can just bring the club back to where he started, notice how much more on top of the ball he is compared to most players. He can just turn through it. See most players have to hang back, because they get back and clear then hang back and it gives them this look of club going away from the target. Head down, extended arms through follow through then really around high right side follow through.

None of these fixes, are needed in Lamb's swing. you see his follow through and it looks like he has collapsed it at the top. But he has just folded it up. He struck it with a square clubface, and kept it square then folded it up. He does not need to throw it out right, because it is not closing how most people are taught."

Seems like an interesting premise to me. I want to try that on the range tomorrow...

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
sounds to me like a right forearm takeaway backswing, hitting procedure with angled hinging.

If you have seen Brians video short on Right forearm pickup versus shoulder turn takeaway you'll see why.

It sounds like he is using his head as his "center pivot point" which would not let him get that 'lean to the right' look that shoulder turn takeaway players get. He'd look a little similar to what hogan looked like with his "left side sag."

Its all in the video.

Also i say angled hinge because most pros who say they "hold it off" are usually describing an angled hinge because they are not allowing it to close fully.

hope that helps

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
In my opinion it only "looks" like he is keeping all of his weight on his left side because of his type of pivot.

I'm not TGM pro ;), but it sure looks to me like a hitter's motion with a right forearm takeaway "style" (not saying he's doing it right) because if you notice through the face on view of his swing his head is staying in the center of his feet, like Homer says in the unpublished 7th Ed...this whole idea of the tri-pod. Your head centered between your two feet.

When you do this correctly you will straighten your right leg some (which is fine), and it will look like you are almost "sagging" to the left because you don't get that new style of "leaning to the right look."

this is all explained very well in brian's video on Right forearm takeaway versus shoulder turn takeaway.

I'd love to see a driver view of him and see if he still uses the same pivot style. One thing i did notice is the doesn't have enough "down" imo because his right forearm is pretty above the plane at impact. He needs the right shoulder to be lower. Otherwise pretty solid move. I bet he's a pretty decent iron player with good accuracy.

If you look at Lonard who was coached by this guy, I think he looks like a confused hitter. He gets to a top position similar to a hitter, but then pulls the club and HH. There are much simpler ways of doing things.

scorekeeper

where

In my opinion it only "looks" like he is keeping all of his weight on his left side because of his type of pivot.

I'm not TGM pro ;), but it sure looks to me like a hitter's motion with a right forearm takeaway "style" (not saying he's doing it right) because if you notice through the face on view of his swing his head is staying in the center of his feet, like Homer says in the unpublished 7th Ed...this whole idea of the tri-pod. Your head centered between your two feet.

When you do this correctly you will straighten your right leg some (which is fine), and it will look like you are almost "sagging" to the left because you don't get that new style of "leaning to the right look."

this is all explained very well in brian's video on Right forearm takeaway versus shoulder turn takeaway.

I'd love to see a driver view of him and see if he still uses the same pivot style. One thing i did notice is the doesn't have enough "down" imo because his right forearm is pretty above the plane at impact. He needs the right shoulder to be lower. Otherwise pretty solid move. I bet he's a pretty decent iron player with good accuracy.

jim

where might I be able to find Brian's video you are referencing

My old coach here in the UK is teaching the right sided swing
by Gary Edwin an Australian coach. It is supposed to have 'few moving parts'.
I did improve using that swing (from about a 22 to a 17) but got stuck there. I always felt
very restricted in my swing. Last year after another long spell of the shanks (4 month) I decided to change my swing during a long holiday in South Africa to a more 'normal' one. I felt better with that swing straight away and I went down to 14 last summer. Now I've just started working with a coach who is inspired by tgm (I hope he isn't treating it as the bible though). Let's see where that is getting me. I've been watching a lot of Brian's videos and read quite a few blogs by 3jack on tgm. I think I've learned more about the golf swing in the last two weeks than in the 7 years I've been playing golf.

Coming back to the right sided swing. It certainly works for some but you can't force it on people. I heard from a few people who left the rightsided swing because their game was going downhill with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.