Back to Target on Downswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working hard with TGM and seeing pretty good results. It seems that I have my best success when I try to keep my back to the target on the downswing until impact. Is this a good swing thought consistent with TGM principles?

Thanks,
C21heel

hue

New
Be more concerned with directing your trail shoulder downplane. My guess is you used to have a round house trail shoulder move in the downstroke and your swing thought is curbing this.

DDL

New
Here is a response from David Laville, a GSEM, earlier this year, from a thread on R.S.G.

"Some people say the sensation is like you're unwinding your shoulders while keeping your back to the target"

"I'm going to explain this with two scenerios.

The first is swinging something heavy like a Momentus, a broom may
even work. Swing the club, or broom, to the top. Let your arms and
club fall. They will fall while your right shoulder stays back, it
will not move out and forward. The right shoulders staying back and
turning down is what some people say is the sensation like you're
unwinding your shoulders while keeping your back to the target.

The second is to hold a club across your shoulders. Lay the head end
across your left shoulder and the grip end across your right. Turn
your shoulders so the grip end of the club points at the target line.
Note that your right shoulder works down and not around flatly. This
right shoulder motion is what start"s the club down on plane."

On the Chuck Evans(GSED) forum, Chuck has an article addressing OTT. Essentially, one keeps the right shoulder back while initiating the hip slide to allow the amrs to drop.

Hue, DDL

Thanks for the help! I tried right shoulder down the plane, but lost about thirty yards in distance and most of my accuracy. Initially, I was dropping the right shoulder straight down, which caused a lot of push slices. And, when I focused on taking the right shoulder down the swing I plane, I got a lot of pull hooks. I'm sure it will take some time to get the feel.

You don't have to actually consciously or purposely move your right shoulder down or w/e. Just know that that's what it ACTUALLY does...in order to keep you on plane. It moves down THEN out and forward at the last moment before impact...not out and forward (from the top) then down- if you do that then you are doing the classic over the top, slicers move.

I think what he meant was that it's just another way to think about what you're doing (in keeping your back to the target)...Take it as a little edumacation.

I say if what you're doing is working then use it as a swing thought. A "feel" thing. It prolly lets you hold your clubhead lag longer too BTW.

The only thing is if it lasts...sometimes those thoughts only work a few rounds.

quote:Originally posted by c21heel

DDL, what is R.S.G?

Thanks,
C21heel

Not DDL....but I will chime in anyway...."RSG" is rec.sport.golf

It is the former rec usenet newsgroups that are now found on Google newsgroups.

Abudoggie

And how is David Laville doing these days? He had one of the eariest- if not the first- TGM forum in the mid '90's.

would ti be fair to say that you need enough shoulder turn to hit the inside of the ball using a straight line path?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
David surfaced at a Lynn Blake seminar at Money Hill. He said he was doing fine.

"If your eyes on on the ball correctly (impact point on the proper amount of the inside-aft quadrant of the ball) and your mind is in your hands correctly....how can you come over the top?" —Ben Doyle, GSED

quote:Originally posted by brianman

"If your eyes on on the ball correctly (impact point on the proper amount of the inside-aft quadrant of the ball) and your mind is in your hands correctly....how can you come over the top?" —Ben Doyle, GSED

How True is THAT. The MERE intention of impacting the ball on the inside aft of the ball only leads to all good things in any hit stroke. What could go wrong? Add another BEN GEM- Be quick but never Hurry - and you will be the envy of the foursome.

Status
Not open for further replies.