How does Trevino not hook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Neither Hogan's nor Manzella's grip is in the PALM of the left hand. Simply the left hand HEEL PAD is on top of the club and the grip runs DIAGONALLY to about the secone joint of the index finger.

Hogan's grip and Manzella's grip are VERY similar

Well, Hogan techinically refers to the right hand grip as "in the fingers" and the left hand grip is a "palm and finger" grip since the heel pad is in the palm. In the right hand, the grip runs ACROSS the lower finger joints of the right hand, while in the left hand it runs diagonally (as you said) from the heel pad (in the palm) to the top joint of the forefinger. But we may be arguing semantics here.

Arch

quote:Originally posted by jim_0068

Neither Hogan's nor Manzella's grip is in the PALM of the left hand. Simply the left hand HEEL PAD is on top of the club and the grip runs DIAGONALLY to about the secone joint of the index finger.

Hogan's grip and Manzella's grip are VERY similar

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
When i hear "palm grip" i hear Natural Golf or Moe Norman type grip.

If you have a truly neutral grip it is almost impossible to grip the club in your left hand TOTALLY in the fingers. Why? Because if you do 2 things will happen:

1) If you keep the "V" pointing at your chin your left heel pad won't be "on top" of the shaft enough, it will be to the side of it and you won't support the club

2) To get the heel pad on top of the grip you'll end up with a some sort of a strong grip.

-----

As far as the right hand grip goes, yes it is in the fingers. At the base of the fingers. This puts the right hand behind the club to support it through impact.

A good Grip : Back of hand parallel to target as possible. 'As possible' because you want heel pad covering most of grip (think good support) from your eye view, and the thumb not creating a hugh gap, but supporting on aft side to a certain extent.
So if you ain't thick set (think Brian Manzella) you won't get a weak looking grip unless you want to push fade it off the planet. The hand will have to come round a bit.
I think teaching a grip is very difficult because of different builds.
In my opinion.

How is the typical weekend golfer's grip different from the Hogan/Manzella neutral grip? Would you say that most hacks have the grip more in the fingers of their left hand and maybe more in the palm of their right hand?

Arch

rundmc

Banned
LEE BUCK'S BOOK: GROOVE YOUR SWING MY WAY

Interesting the inscription in the book is:

"To Ben Hogan - a great golfer who unknowingly influenced me to consistently fade the ball."

This book's got some interesting stuff in it from a Yellow Book perspective:

GRIP
Lee doesn't get to the grip until page 68:

"I think the best way you can hold the club is by simply making sure that the back of your left hand is parallel with the leading edge of the clubface. Once you get the back of the hand and the leding edge set up in the same direction, you don't need to worry about where your clubface is going to be looking during impact."

And how about this gem: Instead, all you need to think about is where the back of your left hand is going to be facing when you strike the ball. I think it's a lot easier for most golfers to control the facing of their left hand than the clubface itself.

"You should find that the "V" of yoru right hand also points upward toward the space between your right cheek and right shoulder - in other words, in about the same direction as the left had "V", or maybe a little more toward your right shoulder."

rundmc

Banned
LEE BUCK ON AIMING THE CLUBFACE

"When it comes to aiming the clubface, I'm going to give you a real shocker. I'm sure you've all heard or read that you should aim the clubface dow your initial flight path, or directly at your target, if you're going to make a straight shot.

If you're going to align yourself 30 to 40 degrees left of your flight path at address, you've also got to aim your clubface, and the back of your left hand, to the left."

WHY LEFT?

"If you aim your clubface to the left yoru your flight path, as I do, your wrist will not turn the clubface from rith to left so radically through impact. Instead, to avoid hitting the shot to the left, wher you've aimed, you will tend to hodl your on-path clubface alignment slightly longer as it swings throught the ball. This increases your chances of making your clubface look in the right direction at the right time. The degree to which you should aim to the left depends on whether you normally slice or hook your shots."

Hmm . . . angled hinging and hitting???

rundmc

Banned
LEE BUCK ON HOOKING . . .

"If you've been curving your shots badly to the left, you should try just the opposite procedure. First try aimingyoru clubface more to the left at address. This may make you react in yoru swing by reducing your wrist roll in that direction. You'll fear rolling your clubface to the left because you've already aimed father left. Instead, you'll hold the door open a bit longer through impact and thereby elimated the closed clubface that was giving you the hook."

Where have we heard the door analogy???

Originally posted by rundmc

LEE BUCK'S BOOK: GROOVE YOUR SWING MY WAY

"I think the best way you can hold the club is by simply making sure that the back of your left hand is parallel with the leading edge of the clubface. Once you get the back of the hand and the leding edge set up in the same direction, you don't need to worry about where your clubface is going to be looking during impact."

I personally would need more clarification from ole Buck here because I can make the leading edge parallel to the back of my left hand by both keeping the grip in my fingers and by setting the grip diagonally from the heel pad down to the first forefinger joint.

I keep emphasizing this issue on this thread because the two methods are a VERY different feel for me. The grip feels comfortable in my left hand FINGERS, but Hogan/Manzella Neutral place is diagonally and that seems awkard.

Great stuff rundmc, That's why we love Lee so much. He knew, he got it.

Brian, has he made a comment about his old book?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I think most hackers

1) don't grip it ENOUGH in the fingers even though THEY THINK they do
2) they have their left hand heel pad ON THE SIDE of the shaft instead of on top of it

Agreed. I think if I was teaching I'd teach the 'support the grip in air with heel and end finger , as *parallel to target as possible* '( Learnt this from Brians article of course!) .. then it might stop all this other v's, knuckle nonsense, and be applicable to all builds.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
BTW i know the 2 reasons above because:

1) I used to do both (yes i used to be a hacker, but i could still score!)
2) I have fixed many hackers that had the same problems as me

Not that I am an advocate of natural golf or anything, but what all is different about the LEFT hand grip depicted here than that of Manzella neutral-- looks like it goes diagonally from heel pad to first forefinger joint, huh?:

http://www.megspace.com/sports/moetown/ng/lyle_grip_photos.html

quote:Originally posted by jim_0068

When i hear "palm grip" i hear Natural Golf or Moe Norman type grip.

If you have a truly neutral grip it is almost impossible to grip the club in your left hand TOTALLY in the fingers. Why? Because if you do 2 things will happen:

1) If you keep the "V" pointing at your chin your left heel pad won't be "on top" of the shaft enough, it will be to the side of it and you won't support the club

2) To get the heel pad on top of the grip you'll end up with a some sort of a strong grip.

-----

As far as the right hand grip goes, yes it is in the fingers. At the base of the fingers. This puts the right hand behind the club to support it through impact.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
-club is much higher up in the palm
-heel pad would end up on the side of the shaft (not top)
-manzella grip goes to the last joint in the first finger of the left hand.

Similar angle of the grip in the hand, but in a different location

Status
Not open for further replies.