Right Elbow on Downswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've reviewed a lot of Tour Player swing sequences over the past month and I've noticed in most of them that the right elbow (right-handed golfers) stays very close to the right hip during the downswing. Seems to work hand-in-hand with right shoulder going down plane.

Do any of you use this a major swing thought when working on the downswing?

I don't use it as a thought.....but I have noticed that's what happens to me.....right elbow right on the hip. It's just where it goes. Esp. if you use Elbow Plane in downstroke.

bbftx

New
I do

Interesting comment birdie-man. I'm an elbow plane guy and do try to keep the elbow on my hip. This usually isn't a conscious thought though, as it's pretty much been part of my swing forever. But I do find that if troubles creep into my swing, it's often because I start letting that elbow wander away from me and I start coming OTT. Then the elbow becomes a very conscious correction for me until I get back into a better swing path.

dbl

New
I tend to use pitch basic position (10-3-B) when swinging. Are you guys talking about right elbow to hip as being more like 10-3-A punch or 10-3-C push?

c21heel said:
I've reviewed a lot of Tour Player swing sequences over the past month and I've noticed in most of them that the right elbow (right-handed golfers) stays very close to the right hip during the downswing. Seems to work hand-in-hand with right shoulder going down plane.

Do any of you use this a major swing thought when working on the downswing?
Here are some Sam Snead quotes from "How to Play Golf" concerning the Right Elbow. He obviously paid particular attention to it.
The Drive
  • Note how the Right Elbow is down and stays comfortably close to the body.
  • The Right Elbow is held close but not tightly to the body with the elbow pointing down.
Mashie (5 iron)
  • This body change (in the downswing) must be made without letting the Right Elbow get far away from the body.
  • (At the start of the downswing) A decided pull with the left arm has brought the Right Elbow in closer to the body.
  • (At Impact) Note how close the Right Elbow is to the body.
Short Irons
  • See how the Right Elbow stays in close. About when the shaft points at your right pocket, begin to cock your wrists.
  • The straight left arm is the main feature of control of the shot from this point (about 9 o’clock) back and down, but the Right Elbow shouldn’t stray.
  • Note how the right arm is straightening even though it continues to be held close to the body.
Explosion Shot
The same straight left on the backswing, with the Right Elbow in and the transfer to the straight right in the follow-through takes place in this shot as it does in other iron and wood shots.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Most pros use pitch elbow which stays very close and in front of the hip. The more you use punch the more it will drift SLIGHTLY and be more behind it. Check out a swing sequence of Jim Furyk and you'll see what i mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.