Dipping on downwsing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fighting dipping at the start of my downswing and am not having any luck consistently fixing this problem. Just telling myself not to dip and trying not to dip isn't working. The faster I try and swing the worse it becomes. I believe that somehow my mind equates this move to more power. I am a low single digit handicap, I only mention this to say that overall I have a pretty sound swing and I believe that fixing this fault to be of vital importance for further improvement. So the question, how do I fix this problem? Thank-you in advance for any feedback and help.

Jim S.

I you are a low single digit hcp player, you obviously have a LOT of unconsciously good stuff going on.

If you DON'T DIP, you will whiff the ball! Simple. You do it because in order to make solid contact from that setup, you HAVE to.

So you simply are not aware of the pullaway of your torso that occurs in a good swing with correct mechanics. Note this: your left shoulder is further from the ground at impact than it was at setup, and probably also than it was at, if you use, a forward press.

It is the reason SO MANY pros address the ball at the heel of the driver (ball on a tee, driver on ground, heel at SS), or the extreme, of Fuzzy Zoeller putting the club even MORE distant from the toes than that. Luke Donald is a currently visible practitioner as is John Daly and a host of others who do this. TW himself dipped down at least 6" during HIS swing, as does Tom Lehman. Again; if they didn't they'd whiff it.

I personally prefer an adjustment at setup rather than a dip during the swing to manage solid impact. So what you "blame" - dipping - is because you see it as a fault instead as a necessary accommodation.

Try setting up with a lower upper body or with heel-at-the-ball and locate perfect impact by trial and error to find out just HOW low you need to stand, or how much closer to the ball you need to stand, at SETUP.

Report back.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
starretj said:
I am fighting dipping at the start of my downswing and am not having any luck consistently fixing this problem. Just telling myself not to dip and trying not to dip isn't working. The faster I try and swing the worse it becomes. I believe that somehow my mind equates this move to more power. I am a low single digit handicap, I only mention this to say that overall I have a pretty sound swing and I believe that fixing this fault to be of vital importance for further improvement. So the question, how do I fix this problem? Thank-you in advance for any feedback and help.

Jim S.

You MAY have already OVER-COMMITTED your PIVOT and have to lunge to add more power.

What is your ball flight?

Brian...what do you mean by overcommited pivot? I dip in the downswing, just prior to impact...ball flight is high, generally left to right. (right handed)

Had a similar issue

Brian will know more but.....I had a similar problem of dipping down during my downswing.

On video, it turned out that I was moving my head back on the downswing by quite a bit. When I focused on keeping my head more in the center my dip was really reduced.

I do tee the ball off of the heel of the club.

I had a problem with dipping until I figured out axis tilt. I would lunge at the ball during the downswing, which caused my left shoulder to go down and forward of the ball at impact. Almost looked like I was trapping the ball with my left shoulder.

Since I figured out axis tilt and the role of the left shoulder, I have all but eliminated my tendency to hit the ball fat, especially with the longer clubs. Additionally, my over the top move is not nearly as bad.

You may not be bent over enough at address. If you are bent over correctly you find that you will more inclined to raise up on the downswing, instead of dipping. A good example of this Tiger Woods.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will do some mirror and range work and see if I can figure this out. Brian, I look forward to "soon". I guess that I will get the cure for this on Tuesday, I just thought maybe I could get a head start.

Jim S.

Status
Not open for further replies.