Avoiding Right Hip Collision

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing i just can't rid myself of is avoiding the right hip collision from about half way down on the downswing. I've tried numerous ideas to get the right hip out of the way but i can't seem to do it without 'standing up', losing my spine angle and coming in steep. I also find it a very hard thing to monitor.

Here are some videos.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~jds072/070324 7i DTL 2.avihttp://members.iinet.net.au/~jds072/070324 7i DTL 2.avi

http://members.iinet.net.au/~jds072/070324 Driver DTL.avi

Any ideas how i can rid myself of this persistant problem?

Thanks

Humble opinion....

I'll look forward to BM, et al, opinions.

To me, you left hand grip is killing your club face and you are "flipping" it. Your hands are dueling banjos. Your impact hand location is decent, but you've got to over rotate your left forearm to avoid hitting it right.

Rx for improvment:

Address
-Hands mid-body
-Vertical and BENT left wrist to match your flat right wrist. Get the thumb print a little more on the aft side of the shaft. It will help you support impact.

Good luck:)

JeffM

I think that your hands are too close to the body. On the DTL view of your iron shot, note that your right arm is not hanging down naturally/vertically and that it is tilted slightly inwards towards the body. You also don't have your arms symmetrical at address, and your right elbow is closer to your right hip (relative to the left side) - on the DTL view, one can readily see your left forearm.

I also note that on your iron shot, you start with an upper body move and that you come down very steeply to the ball, which is very close to your body. That seems to cause your right elbow to jam into your right side.

You had much better hand position at address when using your driver (under your chin, and not well inside your chin) and the ball is not too close to your body, and I noticed that your right elbow managed to clear the right hip.

This is an example of the appropriate distance from the ball, and right arm position at address (for driver, mid-iron, short iron).

See - http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/SLAP-balldistance.jpg

I think that you have your hands about 1-2" too close to your body. In your DTL iron shot, your hands are directly over your forefoot, when they should be vertically above a point that is just in front of the toe line.

Jeff.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
How tall are you?

Either you're clubs are TOO SHORT (maybe ;)) or the more likely answer is your very poor setup (meaning waist bend).

Please let me know how tall you are and what club lengths you use and then i'll respond.

Round and Round we go. Strenthen, Weaken, Strenthen, Weaken. And this is just grip. Set up with weight on left, set up balanced, set up with impact fix, set up neutral. Push, Pull. OMG! This is getting confusing, just reading about it.

In all honestly Bergsey I think you need to get a coach you trust and stick with him. The merrigoround instruction is not helping.

How tall are you?

Either you're clubs are TOO SHORT (maybe ;)) or the more likely answer is your very poor setup (meaning waist bend).

Please let me know how tall you are and what club lengths you use and then i'll respond.

186cm so that's about 6 foot 1 ish.

Clubs are 1/4 longer than standard from memory.

Solarbear agree with your comments, the only point i was interested in was avoiding the right hip collision, not the grip etc.

Cheers

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
186cm so that's about 6 foot 1 ish.

Clubs are 1/4 longer than standard from memory.

Solarbear agree with your comments, the only point i was interested in was avoiding the right hip collision, not the grip etc.

Cheers

Search for Brian's setup article on this site in the archives. You are having a problem with the right hip collission (and your cast from the top) from not bending over at address properly.

I have had the same problem with the right hip for years. Thanks Jim for clearing this up. Went back thru the setup article, adopted it completely and noticed an immediate difference with the right shoulder moving down and out without the right hip moving up and out. I also noticed that if my clubface was too open in the downswing, the right hip would try to help. Twistaway in the downswing also seems to stop the right hip from getting in the way. Thanks for this thread and the reply from Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.