Video: Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson - Swing comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Hogan on the left, Byron Nelson right.

This is Ben Hogan Power Golf style, as opposed to Five Lessons.

Notice the late Ben Hogan is more similar to Byron's pattern.

Last edited:
It's funny how ppl think Hogan wasn't powerful (look at the video...lol).....or did all these goofy things....

Last edited:
The only thing that jumps out at me with that guy--and it always has--is his transition......

Like you said Brian...."the leg triangle".......lots of angle in that sucker (his right leg).....lots of sit down onto that left leg......

I take it that if he didn't have his clubface figured out and that Trigger Delay and maybe even his clubs altered....well I think I can understand why the guy used to hook it like crazy......no??

And he did fall back in his Finish too...trying to GET back??

Question.....if Byron had a wider stance here would he look more like Hogan? ("lots of leg triangle angle" and "left leg sit-down")

BTW pretty similar swings too eh? Byron Loaded it later....also- less open thru and past the ball? Looks like he's less open.....and with the way he bows his left side more....no?

Last edited:
Question.

Why does Byrons head bob down during the downswing but Ben's doesn't?

I think it's more than the setup...

This is the only Ben Hogan pattern that I like, but all of the Hogan zealots exalt the over compensated '5 lessons' pattern as the holy grail.

Is that the infamous left side sag that ppl talk about?

Finish Position

Is the finish position considered typical? It is not that demonstrated in the Power Golf photos or the 1949 Driver Swing in Competition video.

[QUOTE
This is Ben Hogan Power Golf style, as opposed to Five Lessons.

Notice the late Ben Hogan is more similar to Byron's pattern.[/QUOTE]

Tong.

Thanx for posting up. Is it possible to do a pre and post 1950 swing of Hogan with a driver, then iron in the same format?

Nelson reminds me of Chad Campbell.....(or maybe it should be the other way around.....'spect where it is due YO)

....but with more of a Snap/Float Load ("late set")........and weaker grip.....

Status
Not open for further replies.