Great Ben Hogan video in colour (1964)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOC

New
From my untrained eyes it looks like elbow plan but it also depends on where in the swing that picture was taken. That's my 2 cents.

Timm

I had converted the flv file into wmv and used swing software to capture the very TOP of the backswing of Hogan.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Hogan's Plane Shift

hoganNQADS.jpg

Is it accurate to say that the less bend you have at the hips (or the flatter your shoulder turn), the flatter your particular turned shoulder plane would be? It seems that way, when you look at the pictures of Hogan in this thread, and the picture of Snead in the TSP thread. (I would cut and paste them together, but I can't seem to get it to work).

Last edited:
Can someone give a fresh explanation of why Hogan swung so short in these vids?

Because of injury (from car accident), and search for greater consistency and accuracy?

I believe there is a SIGNIFICANT distance loss (but I cannot confirm with data) between the "normal backswing length Hogan" and the one we see here. I think the slight gain in accuracy does not warrant this loss in distance. Any thoughts?

Can someone give a fresh explanation of why Hogan swung so short in these vids?

Because of injury (from car accident), and search for greater consistency and accuracy?

I believe there is a SIGNIFICANT distance loss (but I cannot confirm with data) between the "normal backswing length Hogan" and the one we see here. I think the slight gain in accuracy does not warrant this loss in distance. Any thoughts?

He is swinging back to parallel with his woods in that video to my recollection. He has some extremely short iron swings which could be a product of being between clubs or he just had the mentality that a shorter swing with the irons is much more accurate and I can always take an extra club if needed.

Short swing, lots of wristcock. (Flexible wrists? Bent LW?)

Hands won't reach TSP like they would if he took it back further. (and like Brian said in an audio, the wristcock gives the illusion of a longer swing)

Man GEG thanks for posting this swing here and showing how pure ballstriking is done..I had this motion in mind while on my range session today and it did wonders..Hit the ball with your pivot...simply brilliant..the tempo and movement of the great hogan is simply timeless. =)..

Status
Not open for further replies.