Great Ben Hogan video in colour (1964)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
What Hogan DID and didn't do.

hoganatthetop.jpg

He didn't lean left (so-called stack & tilt), and he didn't have any goofy tripod.

Thank goodness!

A couple'a questions:

Anybody have the record of what clubs are being used for the various shots? I know that's a long shot...

Also, did Hogan's swing get a little shorter through the 50s and 60s? It looks shorter with the driver sometimes than I've seen.

Every fairway and every green, eh? Nice. What'd he shoot?

A couple'a questions:

Anybody have the record of what clubs are being used for the various shots? I know that's a long shot...

Also, did Hogan's swing get a little shorter through the 50s and 60s? It looks shorter with the driver sometimes than I've seen.

Every fairway and every green, eh? Nice. What'd he shoot?

69 with a three putt...Hit a bunch close and missed quite a few putts. The Shell's Wonderful World of Golf was taped at Houston Country Club in 1969, and it was a match between Hogan and Snead. The course played quite long, over 7000 yards, and they were taken off the course early because of a thunderstorm.

Stew

In what way was it better than Tiger Woods' 63-score last round at the BMW last week?

Jeff.

No missed fairways, no missed greens, you could almost say no missed shots. Mr. Hogan hit a number of shots quite close, and the putter certainly let him down. The course was also over 7000 yards, and when you are only averaging about 255 (based on what the announcers say Hogan's driving distances were during the round), it is quite amazing to watch.

The four wood (first fairway wood shot that they show in that clip) he hits is incredible, among a number of other shots..

Stew

Amazing Hogan

"Hogan's performance is especially startling considering the conditions. Normally, taping for the Shell's series took about eight or nine hours, but the Hogan-Snead match took two days to film. There was a three-hour rain delay after the second hole".

I read the Leadbetter book on Hogan and he said he had a definate lean left/reverse pivot. I can't see that myself to be honest. Boy did that swing look flat though. Can't see a chubby guy like me with a swing like that ;)

He really did find the right swing for his body type. Makes you realise you shouldn't try to "look" like Hogan, just try to follow the fundementals of his swing for your own body.

It has to be said he really did give it a lash didn't he.......:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.