Bending at waist vs hips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose most have never given this a thought, however, after thinking about it, I find myself confused as to what the difference is between bending at the waist versus the hips. I've read that you should bend at the hips and not the waist. How can one tell? I think I've made something more complicated than it should be or is, but now I'm wondering if I'm bending at the hips or waist.

Any thoughts/clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
p

Stand up straight. Using a wall for balance, lift your knee so that you're standing on one leg. The leg that is up in the air is bent ant the knee and at the hip. The waist is around where the navel is. Bending at the waist rounds out your spine and puts it in a position that makes it less able to rotate effectively, as well as putting it at risk for injury. Bending at the hips allows the spine to remain in a neutral alignment.

Hmmm, that seems to help. I think I get more "hip bend" when I push my lower back and butt out, although I thought I saw somewhere (here) where pushing your butt out (like your going to sit down) may not always be necessary.

Thanks!

For me it has REALLY helped to make sure I stick my ass out. Otherwise it is more like slumping over. (i.e. you shouldn't have wrinkles in your belly flab)

Like Sam Snead's famous words to the president (can't remember which one):

"Mr. President, you need to stick your ass out more."

Hmmm, that seems to help. I think I get more "hip bend" when I push my lower back and butt out, although I thought I saw somewhere (here) where pushing your butt out (like your going to sit down) may not always be necessary.

Thanks!

No problem. Like anything else, it can be overdone, but the hips definitely should be the place from which the forward tilt originates.

Here's what you can do to integrate it into your setup...

Stand straight up, clubshaft pointing horizontally away from you and push your knees back until they lock..

With your knees locked, push your butt backwards, WHILE KEEPING YOUR BACKBONE STRAIGHT...this will force you to bend from the hips...
Keep bending until your club is 4-6" above the ground. You will feel your weight is on your heels. Now relax your knees. Your weight will center on your feet and your club will drop behind the ball...
You will now find you are "athletically posed" at address, with a straight back and good posture....
Dont forget to RELAX once you are addressed, especially your lower back muscles..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.