Shoulder turn and arm swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ideally, you want your armswing to stop once your shoulder turn has been completed, so your armswing and your trunk are in-sync"

Is there any validity to this statement?

tank

New
"Ideally, you want your armswing to stop once your shoulder turn has been completed, so your armswing and your trunk are in-sync"

Is there any validity to this statement?

I think that if your arms keep going after your shoulders stop in a conventional backswing, the only place the your arms can go is straight up, and for most folks, that puts them in a position to come over the top, or to try and manipulate the arms to achieve an on plane down swing.

On the other hand, if you take the club away very low and inside, then you will have to raise your arms late in the backswing to put them into a good position for an on plane downswing (a la Raymond Floyd), but I don't think one would go out of their way to learn his unique pattern.

I think that if your arms keep going after your shoulders stop in a conventional backswing, the only place the your arms can go is straight up, and for most folks, that puts them in a position to come over the top, or to try and manipulate the arms to achieve an on plane down swing.

Tank you can prevent too much arm lift (if you insist..:)) by not allowing the left scapula to raise. Let it slide to the left and right, but not upwards..

So when you get to the point that your body stops rotating you allow the left scapula to pull away from your backbone and your right scapula to slide towards it, but not raise towards your head...This give you the extra 20* for the full 90* turn

Last edited:

tank

New
Tank you can prevent too much arm lift (if you insist..:)) by not allowing the left scapula to raise. Let it slide to the left and right, but not upwards..

So when you get to the point that your body stops rotating you allow the left scapula to pull away from your backbone and your right scapula to slide towards it, but not raise towards your head...This give you the extra 20* for the full 90* turn

I fully agree. That is an excellent thought for completing the shoulder turn.
What I have a problem with, is arm travel beyond a completed shoulder turn.

I fully agree. That is an excellent thought for completing the shoulder turn.
What I have a problem with, is arm travel beyond a completed shoulder turn.

tank,
perhaps you need to start down earlier, i.e. force the forward pivot to catch the arms before they go too far back...

tank

New
Sorry, I mis-stated.
I don't do it in my own swing. I have a problen with seeing others do it. I think they ruin there sequencing by attempting a larger backswing.

I was hoping to bring life back to this thread. I am wondering the same thing. Any new thoughts on the relation between the arms and shoulders?

Kevin,With your knowledge that was an odd statement. Give it another try. Am very interested in what you think on his statement. I have always took it as gospel and assumed it was correct.

dbl

New
I think part of the answer lies in how one views the shoulder turn. Per the old incorrect/limited think, the advice helped "some" overswingers, but imo shouldn't have been issued as gospel for everyone. More 3D knowledge has yielded many better views of shoulder actions (see recent thread in the last 2 weeks even), and arm action...say if "too far" might be countered with extra beta in the DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.