Can you guys help me out with my swing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get it now. I had taken a couple of weeks off from the forum, and upon my return there's
this new guy popping up everywhere. I went back and read some of his posts using the search feature.
Here's what I conclude. The truth will never be known because he's never going to produce any facts
about himself.

He re-introduced himself to Brian by saying that he had been kicked off before, years ago on the old forum.
He felt a need for self-importance and had to announce his return.

Some of his posts have apparent merit. He has a scientific background, a doctor or maybe engineering.
He fancy's himself as a poet, but his little comebacks make his maturity level seem like 12 years old. He is hopelessly arrogant, which usually means an underlying lack of self-confidence. Probably a perfectionist. He is socially inept. His written communication skills are hopeless, mostly because of the choice of words. He might be able to pull of the $2.00 word thing in a speech to his scientific peers, but it flops when addressed to normal, ordinary folks. Pompous-Ass would be an accurate description.

Can you imagine being in a foursome with this guy? He says, "Did you see the way I rolled that white sphere over the topographically varying surface toward the sunken cylinder" or "You know Joe if you lost about 50 pounds you could improve your ball striking. You still wouldn't approach my level of body fat, but
,of course, you aren't as perfect as I am." I doubt any of them will clamor to make this guy part of the regular
foresome.

My take on his golf knowledge is that he has read all the books in depth, but in practical golf terms he comes up
short. He can't tolerate anything that is contrary to what he believes. No gray area thinking, all his way or the
highway, black or white.

I would guess that some other forum had enough, and he had to find a new home. Perhaps a Residence Inn would be a better description as I'm betting his stay will be limited.

I'm waiting for the comeback poem.

Not read through all the thread , and photos lil' unclear , but have you tried a pivot \ swing motion without a club in your hands? Are you able to have slight flex remaining in the right leg , not as bent left arm without a club \ just doing a practice swing?
Like don't take a pretend grip or anything, just hang you hands down parallel and pivot \ turn to teh top.
Forget the club and ball. Try and train your body . But go easy on that knee. OUCH .
Question, do you think 'all shoulders' on your takeaway? If yes and your torso is lazy that is a big piece of your puzzle, maybe.....
Are your hips lagging behind in the backswing? Maybe you need to get more torso \ hip movement earlier on. Forget shoulders, they have to move with a torso turn.
Let me put it this way.. if I wanted to get in your positions I would just move the Shoulders and nothing else.
Flatter hip\ torso turn could 'possibly' help you if you're physically unable to keep some flex in right knee.

Actually, I think my hips are turned TOO MUCH as well. They almost turn as far as the shoulders! I think Hogan said the belly button should point at the right toes at the top of the swing. My belly button/stomach turn much farther than that and point directly away from the target. My thought in the take away, since the days of my following Leadbetter's instruction, was to take away the club with a turn of the belly button. When I do that the hips turn immediately too and the right leg straightens. It did help me turn better but after years of doing it you can see it's caused a number of problems. I think it's too much turning of the trunk, not enough lifting of the arms.

since the OP is wearing loose pants, it is not easy to accurately define his knee angle. suffices it to say, it is more toward extension than flexion.

on that, i would like to add 2 cents:

to me at least, "straightening the knee a little" is not the same as to have the knee straightened.

the former means the knee is still in flexion, but now less flexed, thus more extended. in other words, you stand up more.

the latter means the knee has completely extended, to the anatomical limit.

may be i am naive or ignorant. when the knee is completely extended, it is not athletic. a slightly flexed knee, however, is.

the point of contention or confusion here, i think, is on the degree of this "slightly flexed knee".

Yes. When I wear shorts it is easy to see that my leg is completely straight.

I appreciate the ideas and help from everyone. I think I'm gonna attempt to fix the pivot first, focusing on turning and keeping the right leg flexed. After that (maybe work on it at the same time) I'm going to try to turn with more of a raising of the arms so that when I get 1/2 way back my shoulder turn isn't complete. I'm afraid it's going to feel very "armsy" compared to what I have done in the past.

You need to rid yourself of the idea that you must achieve a 90 degree shoulder turn. It depends
on your flexibility and it depends on the shot. You need a full length mirror so you can see yourself. You don't need a club. Brian has video on the pivot, so do many others. It's basically coiling over your right leg. The videos
explain it. The deal is that when you stop the leg from locking, you will absolutely feel the tension as you coil back.
You will find that you can't turn back as far. You will feel the coil. You downswing will become a reaction
to this tension and you will unwind.

If you then do some searching on Lagging Clubhead Takeaway, you will start to see how the arms are sort of
along for the ride. That's going to help with the collapsing left arm at the top.

Good luck,

Waiting for the Mole to pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.