David Toms Swing Vision

Status
Not open for further replies.
clubcaster is it possible that you are so adamant about lag not being about the left arm/club angle because you never could master that part of the golf swing yourself?
That's a fair question, but the answer is no because I haven't mastered the right arm/club angle yet either.

I started off thinking that the angle between the left forearm and the clubshaft is what is important because that's what everyone always says. But in observing the swings of the top pros I found too many exceptions - not the least being Toms and Zuback. I haven't found any exceptions to the right forearm/clubshaft 90 degree rule. There might be some pros that have a marginally wider angle than 90 degrees in the delivery position, but nothing like the 120 degrees or so that you'll typically see in a high handicapper.

Thanks,
CC

Strict definitions help...

Right wrist bend = flat left wrist with a lag pressure sensation in your right index finger base. ie, you have not and will not flip (unbend) the right wrist before impact. I see this as the "lag" that CC is describing. It is desirable in all swings for the flat left wrist it produces which aids simplicity of clubface control.

Original TGM will add that having a bent right wrist and forearm on same plane as the shaft helps oppose the deceleration of impact.... which Brian and Dr. Zick and Mandrin have written yards on...disproving it...

What is often called lag is "accumulator lag"...ie. delaying the left wrist uncocking. That is a seperate issue - probably less important - certainly not more important... it is a personal choice which can be chosen to suit the player.

Until you have bent right wrist / flat left wrist sorted out then delaying release and accumulator lag is a waste of time.

There is something in TGM book about handspeed and accumulator lag.

The way I see it is that if you have slowish hands you can still achieve long distance if you delay release / have loads of accumulato lag / max trigger delay.... it gives you a lazy looking wallop...

To achieve the same distance with an earlier release...your hand speed has to increase...

At least that is the way i read that bit of TGM....last part of 7-20 " Maximum trigger delay noticeably restricts maximum hand speed (6-N-0)"

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If your left arm swings out from your body and you down arch your wrist like Toms, you can increase the bend in your right wrist while losing some of the angle in your left arm/shaft relationship. You can still pack plenty of wallop this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.