Hip motion - goat humping and other things...

Status
Not open for further replies.

roll - gybe

I may be all wet here, but I would say that Everyone has extension through impact with a full swing, unless you had no forward pivot and you were back to your address position while making contact. What EJ eluded to with the camera being perpendicular to the hips (right side view) is exactly right. Basically what I'm saying is that forward tilt at setup turns into a combo of forward and side bend at impact, at least with anybody that clears their hips. Put it this way, in 3D your spine will not keep the same frontal angle throughout the swing. In 2D it may appear that way, but the rotations and lateral motion are not being accounted for.

Brings to mind the huge blowup about the S&T book using pictures of Jack and Arnie from 45 degrees!

Thanks for the replies - extension of the spine seems to occur in most/all of these swings, it is the combination of other bends which then give the humping motion some directional element - or that is what I take from the discussion.

Do you feel that the direction of the plane line/release type (CF or CP for want of any other description) mandates humping downn/up and the degree of leftwards of the pelvis motion...by which I mean Snead, Trevino and Hogan seem to hump down and left ...especially with their irons....whereas tiger and Rory hump somewhere between the target and towards the ball...(out to right fieldish)...???????????

natep

New
Bump.

After reading this thread I'm still curious about the differences in the pivots in the video and the implications.

Is it just a flexibility issue, or does it have to do with swinging more left? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Interesting topic. When i saw my swing on video, I was also very much like the ross fisher position (but with the arms more 'stuck' behind, in hooks-ville) - however i put this down to a recent problem with my lower back (i guessed that this move was my body's / lower back's way of protecting itself through transition / impact etc).

Personally, i think it has to do with the shape of shot that you're looking to create, and therefore the extent to which you shift-rotate your left hip back onto the tush line, or even further left of the tush line in the case of Hogan / Snead / Trevino - this gave them ROOM to get their club exiting low and left (Hogan and Trevino generally played a fade, Snead aimed right and played a pull - so i have read, anyway).

Incidentally, I watched Ross Fisher at the Ryder Cup hit a few nasty hooks.

The second half of this video demonstrates what i have tried to articulate about getting the left hip 'forward and back' on the downswing* - [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggLTM9bfD54[/media]

This video also looks at the same theme: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNwSfz0_KDM[/media]

*I'm not in any way trying to promote another instructor here, however i thought the videos gave a good demonstration and visualisation of the concept

Status
Not open for further replies.