The slow play at The Farmer's Tournament on Monday at Torrey Pines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen it both ways, I have been put on the clock in a tournament because the guy I was paired with was way over the top with his preshot routine and getting the sharpie line just perfect. I also think it is because there are lots of bad golfers out there, they hit it right in the trees and look for a stinking top flite for 10 minutes, then dump the next one in the pond and have to take out their 15 ft ball retriever to retrieve their ball and 5 others that they spotted and now the damage has been done, its like a person braking on the freeway, backs up traffic for hours.

I would love to speed up play but I hate ready golf, I grew up taking your turn and it just feels flat out wrong to me to go out of turn. Just be ready when it is your turn, get your yardage, decide on club and be ready to hit when its time. I can go out on an empty course and play 18 under 2 hours in a cart but I get more enjoyment when I play with a couple of buddies and get through 18 between 4-5 hrs.

It really comes down to common courtesy, let faster players play through, don't drive 70 mph in the fast lane and hold up traffic.

Just asking what is an uncomfortable question.

Do you think the group that was delaying things was given a lot of leash because of Erik Compton? Asking him to speed it up may = bad press!

Just asking...........

Had the exact same thought too... Who's gonna be the guy to get after the guy who's had two heart transplants? But I can't imagine that was the only out of position group.

I would love to speed up play but I hate ready golf, I grew up taking your turn and it just feels flat out wrong to me to go out of turn. Just be ready when it is your turn, get your yardage, decide on club and be ready to hit when its time. I can go out on an empty course and play 18 under 2 hours in a cart but I get more enjoyment when I play with a couple of buddies and get through 18 between 4-5 hrs.

It really comes down to common courtesy, let faster players play through, don't drive 70 mph in the fast lane and hold up traffic.

I think you can play 'ready golf' in different ways. It can just mean 'be ready once the other player has played', meaning don't stand around while the other player is hitting his shot but get prepared for your shot.
The more 'drastic' version of ready golf is that you play as soon as you are ready no matter who is furthest away (of course only works if you are not between the other players and the hole). I have used this kind of ready golf when paired with a very slow player who plays of the max of 28 but has never ever played to 28. I played my second shot before he even reached his ball and I was 100 yards ahead of him. His second ball didn't even make it past my first one. If you play 'furthest away first' then the round would take ages. So it basically just takes the time the slow player takes to play a hole. The two other players don't add any additional time.

You should of course agree with the others to play ready golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.