GTE Live lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping for some descriptions of Brian’s live lessons at GTE. I wanted to make the trip to Maryland but time and money are tight for me these days. I would like to hear an attendee describe a couple of live lessons by filling in the blanks:

The student was a ______ handicap.

His/her good shots were __________.

His/her bad shots were __________.

Brain told him/her to _________.

The results in ball flight tended to be ______________.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer these questions. I know it might seem that I’m asking for a secret recipe. But, I really really wanted to be in attendance.
Regards,
Chris Carlisle

dbl

New
Out of curiosity, are you asking this from the perspective of a teacher or student?

Last edited:
Putting it on the line

The range of players that Brian helped were all over the charts. From a beginner to a low handicap and everywhere inbetween. I have been lucky enough to attend many "seminars" from a wide range of "Top 100" instructors and others that should be but for some reason are not yet. Very few, let me repeat, very few have had the guts to put it on the line. I may not be convinced of everything that Brian has to say, but one thing is for sure that he is in the business for the right reason. That is to learn as much as he can and to help others enjoy playing golf. You can't help but to see the passion he has for his profession and that is just great to see. And, yes, every student came away better than when they started the lesson.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
The range of players that Brian helped were all over the charts. From a beginner to a low handicap and everywhere inbetween. I have been lucky enough to attend many "seminars" from a wide range of "Top 100" instructors and others that should be but for some reason are not yet. Very few, let me repeat, very few have had the guts to put it on the line. I may not be convinced of everything that Brian has to say, but one thing is for sure that he is in the business for the right reason. That is to learn as much as he can and to help others enjoy playing golf. You can't help but to see the passion he has for his profession and that is just great to see. And, yes, every student came away better than when they started the lesson.
Good to meet you at the GTE. id be interested in knowing what you arent convinced of. Just curious, not looking to shove anything at you. Just wondering.

DuckSlice asks, "I would like to hear an attendee describe a couple of live lessons by filling in the blanks:

Reminds me of a something one of former Regional Manager was
fond of saying, "Now that have the all this information, what exactly will you
do with it? Should be obvious that every situation is somewhat different.
I've taken a Brian lesson, not GTE, but so what.

The student was a 11 handicap.
His/her good shots were very nice.
His/her bad shots were hooks with the driver, but not with the 6 iron.
Brain told me to move ball forward with the Driver, to strengthen my grip, and think high fade.

The results in ball flight tended to be improved.

Now how in the world is that useful to you?

Nothing personal, I just found your post, well, let's say odd.

For someone that was there, it is too hard to just simply answer all of your questions the way they are laid out. Brian is too much of a customizing teacher and there are no straight answers as to the fault and the fix.

The more you see Brian teach and explain the golf swing, the more it may help your teaching approach but you have to understand that there are not set fixes for swing types or swing faults, only fixes for individuals. Hopefully you can make the spring session...it will help you!

DuckSlice asks, "I would like to hear an attendee describe a couple of live lessons by filling in the blanks:

Reminds me of a something one of former Regional Manager was
fond of saying, "Now that have the all this information, what exactly will you
do with it? Should be obvious that every situation is somewhat different.
I've taken a Brian lesson, not GTE, but so what.

The student was a 11 handicap.
His/her good shots were very nice.
His/her bad shots were hooks with the driver, but not with the 6 iron.
Brain told me to move ball forward with the Driver, to strengthen my grip, and think high fade.

The results in ball flight tended to be improved.

Now how in the world is that useful to you?

Nothing personal, I just found your post, well, let's say odd.

Noting personal taken. I'm not sure if answers to these questions will be useful to me or not. But, until I can see Brain teach a live lesson, or even take a golf lesson from him personally, I'm left with what I read on this forum or view on his videos. (Which is great btw.)I'll rephrase my origional post.

Can someone in attendence at GTE provide some quick descriptions of the live lessons? Did Brian go about the fix in a way that surprised you? If so, how? Did Brian omit some issues in the student's pattern that you would have thought needed to be addressed? If so, what? Did anything about Brian's descriptions/suggestions seem particularly interesting to you? If so, how?

I'm asking because I'm a teaching pro. I think Brian is way ahead of the curve and I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

ggsjpc

New
Duckslice,

As a teaching pro, what interests me most when watching other teachers is watching the order they do things in. Brian did things in a different order than I had been doing and was able to cut out some steps because his order may address more than one thing at a time without having to tell the student.

As strange as it sounds, he teaches in a way most of us wish we were comfortable teaching. His only goal is to get the information across and fix 'em. It was very enjoyable to watch and as he has admitted many times, "you better be able to flat out teach if you're going to have a big mouth like me"-Brian

If you go watch you will learn and be better for it.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
A good way he described it to me was this. (paraphrasing) "I now teach like I did when I was a beginning assistant, except now I just know more". In other words, you can cut to the chase real quick if you know the right order.

I second Kevin's thought about cutting to the chase.
In my own words.. Brian's timing of when he impliments things and the quantity of something that is needed is what he does better than anyone. To me it seemed like he could read people, size them up quickly and fix'em fast. I think when you have the parts catalog straight in your head and know how everything in the swing needs to work together it is a big advantage.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.