Adam Scott.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....looks like a completely different player with the long putter AND Steve Williams. As my mom would say "I bet this really sticks in Tiger's craw".

lia41985

And Tiger would say back, "scoreboard, bud."

But yeah, I'm sure he's annoyed. It's nice to see Scott playing so well. Despite the juiciness of the storyline Scott, I'm sure, will be classy enough not to indulge too much in it if he wins.

And Tiger would say back, "scoreboard, bud."

But yeah, I'm sure he's annoyed. It's nice to see Scott playing so well. Despite the juiciness of the storyline Scott, I'm sure, will be classy enough not to indulge too much in it if he wins.

Adam Scott doesn't seem like the type to gloat about things like this. It sure will give the writers something to talk about.

He's 170th in putts gained with the long putter. A few years ago he was 1st, with a normal putter.

He's hitting it MUCH better than he was before. Long putter be damned.

3JACK

dbl

New
After the Bridgestone he is 133 YTD not 170. Big jump I'd think for one week. I wonder how he'd rank just for the weeks he used the broomstick. *

2011 YTD
PGATOUR.com - PGA TOUR Statistics

By the way, Scott ranked #1 in 2004
Strokes Gained-Putting: Inside the numbers - PGATOUR.COM

* ETA: Okay I looked up some things, and he has used the long putter since the Accenture, so in that's all of 2011 except for the first two tournaments he played in.

Last edited:
snead101.jpg

He's 170th in putts gained with the long putter. A few years ago he was 1st, with a normal putter.

He's hitting it MUCH better than he was before. Long putter be damned.

3JACK

Peter Kostis did a Bizhub analysis of Scott's swing yesterday. Scott stayed in his spine angle much more through impact than he did a couple years ago. I wonder if Butch played a role in implementing that change. Totally different impact position from Nick Watney, another Harmon student.

Look at his scrambling stats:
2010 54.03% ranked 171st
2011 61.09% ranked 30th

I think he has spent a little more time working on his short game, which could be a influence of his teacher/brother-in-law working with him.

Look at his scrambling stats:
2010 54.03% ranked 171st
2011 61.09% ranked 30th

I think he has spent a little more time working on his short game, which could be a influence of his teacher/brother-in-law working with him.

I think it's misleading.

If you look at his 'proximity to the cup' from 1-20 yards from off the green, he's ranked 161st in this stat. I think he's scrambling better because he's hitting it better and when he does miss...he misses in favorable spots. He was ranked 170th on Thursday in putts gained. I know because I looked it up when Kostis was raving about the long putter and beforehand was raving about putts gained stat with another golfer.

I've got him 46th in what I call 'Advanced Total Driving' and 32nd in Danger Zone play. Those are really great numbers...plus he still has plenty of length. I think it's obvious he putted extremely well at Firestone, but has otherwise struggled with the long putter this year. In fact, my belief is that his ballstriking has improved so much that he's probably leaving himself with more uphill putts which are easier to make and not short sideing himself and that's probably helping with his confidence.

3JACK

Where are you finding your data on uphill vs downhill? It was my understanding that the Shotlink data was distance based without a directional bias. Have you found another source for that info?

bcoak

New
He left Butch didn't he? Swing just looks a little more rhythmical and not as contrived/position based

Where are you finding your data on uphill vs downhill? It was my understanding that the Shotlink data was distance based without a directional bias. Have you found another source for that info?

I've discussed this with a few people that actually researched the data and came up with the same results...be it the current PGA Tour pro all the way up to the 30 handicapper.

One tried to present the information and tracking of it to the PGA Tour, but he was told that they didn't want any part of it for whatever reason.

3JACK

I think it's misleading.

If you look at his 'proximity to the cup' from 1-20 yards from off the green, he's ranked 161st in this stat. I think he's scrambling better because he's hitting it better and when he does miss...he misses in favorable spots. He was ranked 170th on Thursday in putts gained. I know because I looked it up when Kostis was raving about the long putter and beforehand was raving about putts gained stat with another golfer.

I've got him 46th in what I call 'Advanced Total Driving' and 32nd in Danger Zone play. Those are really great numbers...plus he still has plenty of length. I think it's obvious he putted extremely well at Firestone, but has otherwise struggled with the long putter this year. In fact, my belief is that his ballstriking has improved so much that he's probably leaving himself with more uphill putts which are easier to make and not short sideing himself and that's probably helping with his confidence.

3JACK

Thx 3Jack. You do a great job with these stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.