Are pull hooks a transition phase for a flipper/slicer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, if that has been asked before. I searched this forum quite thoroughly and did not find a discussion of this particular question.
First, I am a flipper. Video showed me that much. Second, I am quite sure that I flip to avoid a slice. I've done this ever since I started to play, and I do not slice a lot, only once in a while, and those are not the banana balls I see from many of my playing partners, usually more of a right to slightly more right pattern. AND, those shots (usually drives) are a lot longer than my straight ones. I think this is, because I do not flip on those shots, and so there is no power leakage. End of self diagnosis, now to the question.
I've bought and watched both NSA2 and Confessions and tried to implement the drills into my practice. Now most of my shots are really low, slightly thinned pull hooks. Is this a phase one has to expect and just go through it, or is it a sign that I did something really wrong or that I maybe took the whole bottle instead of just one pill?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
No, it's a sign you are on the right track. Now you need to start to learn how to swing more right than too left as you have been because of your usual banana ball.

Think about it...used to have too open of a face and swing too far left = banana balls
Now you have a bit too closed of a face with a path still too left = pull hook

You need to learn to straighten out the path

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Thank you.
Right shoulder to hip pocket at start of downswing?

Yes that could be a good through to help start swinging more to the right; remember to keep your tailbone ahead of your neckbone through impact. You have to feel a stretch in your left side through the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.