Bent v. Extended Lead Leg At Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some advantages/disadvantages of having an extended left leg at impact? What about bent?

I've taken probably 10 formal lessons in the 13 or so years I've been playing golf and the last one was about 5 years ago. Not once was that ever addressed in any of my lessons. I've always just naturally (and unconsciously) bent my left leg at impact. Whenever i've tried to extend or "snap" my left leg at impact, i end up hitting ball thin a majority of the time.

Which motion will produce more consistent results? What compensations/other motions, if any, need to be part of your golf swing motion in order to provide consistent results? How do you make sure you don't come up at impact if you extend the left leg? More axis tilt/pivot towards the target? Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:
I also suffer from the same afflection. Will be interested in seeing some feedback on this.

I feel that I slide by not having a straight front leg. I feel sometimes I slide toward the target and do not rotate. Not sure if this is something you can thing about but has to happen naturally.

bh3

New
Bent leg at impact

I also do this and tend to slide through impact, move ahead of the ball and hit shots to the right. Like you when ever I try to post on my lead leg I hit the ball thin because I seem further from the ball at impact.

Erik_K

New
I don't recommend actively 'straightening' any part of your body during the swing. Having said that if you need to straighten the left leg so it promotes the correct lower body action, so be it.

A ways back Brian elaborated on the right knee flexion. For years, many instructors insisted that the right knee stays bent. The really important 'angle' is the right knee at address. I don't like the right knee to move a whole lot (laterally) since that might indicate a big sway to the right which is a false sense of weight shift.

Probably, for most people, the left leg stiffens as a result of the proper turning action of the hips and the weight gathering of the left foot.

Stiffening the left leg early in the swing can lead to disasterous results - a true swing killer.

Isn't this what BM teaches after the "stick the hula hoop in the ground" and then the left leg straightening is the "jump"?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I also do this and tend to slide through impact, move ahead of the ball and hit shots to the right. Like you when ever I try to post on my lead leg I hit the ball thin because I seem further from the ball at impact.

Because your swing radius most likely was never past the ball and under the ground enough to need the upward thrust of the straightening left leg.

didnt hogan have a bent left knee at and through impact? i would guess this means you can keep the club lower through impact, so you'd need some right wrist straightening action to keep the club shallow enough

bh3

New
Because your swing radius most likely was never past the ball and under the ground enough to need the upward thrust of the straightening left leg.

Kevin,

How do I improve my swing radius? make it further forward and down?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5FBjndyZyXQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5FBjndyZyXQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pd2ZPSXicr0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pd2ZPSXicr0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.