Bertholy drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdZ

New
Looks like he has the right 'general idea' to me.... lag and forearm rotation, right wrist back. Put those same moves in 'synch' with the body rotation, and scale them back a bit or you'll hook, with extension.

Most people would do well just to get the forearm rotation down to start. Get those knuckles/watch facing the ground.

I wouldn't recommend the hip slide at all, but it seems to me this drill is exagerating many things to give the 'feel'.

hue

New
"I wouldn't recommend the hip slide at all," EdZ: Why? The hip slide looks exagerated but I would have thought you would want hip slide to create secondary axis tilt as you would in a real swing.

hue

New
Great link benhogan54 do you have any more Bertholy links? His stuff seems to marry up with Brian's "Fiddle drill". Thanks.

Bono

New
I am not sure if the drill posted is supposed to be an exaggeration or if thats the way its done. Can we get a clarification????

I dont agree with Brian. Personally, I dont like it. First, I have never seen a golfer have that much hip slide. Couple that slide with a flat shaft and you'll shank it all day or hit heel cuts.

Right shoulder moves too vertically. The right shoulder provides the pivot power for both hitters and swingers. It should me moving downplane.

Right elbow is totally blocked out. Can never get onplane from there.

Second, the forearm rotation is non existent. At release point, the lead hand is cupped, and leads too far into the swing. He is practically in a snap release, which most golfers dont have the strenghth or hand speed to accomodate.

Look at the lead hand...if flips. THATS ALL IT CAN DO.

Dont mean to tear it apart, but to me it the drill as it is performed will do nothing but ingrain about 4-5 bad habits as I see it the way it is performed. However, if hogan is exaggerating it, I understand that, but I would be careful....I personally have dont see alot of good coming from it unless the person doing it COMES WAY WAY WAY OVER THE TOP - even then, I wouldnt do it - its too far from a good swing in my opinion. Just be careful, thats all.

cdog

New
That drill is designed to help stop the over the top move. Also to help ingrain the lead arms swivel, he wants you to practice 3 ending positions, palm up (catching raindrops) lead wrist verticle, top of wrist up. Maybe he is teaching the hinging actions horizonital, angled and verticle?
The rear arm/hand he call the claw and all its doing in the drill is elbow seeking belly with a bent rear wrist light holding the shaft, basically its taken out of the swing. The elbow seeking belly is suppose to ingrain axis tilt.

Bono, the lead hand doesn't look like a flip to me. Knuckles are down and wrist is flat.

Hue...the only other Bertholy thing I can find is www.paulbertholy.com . I have heard his book really doesn't outline a swing pattern, but gives drills and exersizes to get the body, arms, and club working in proper sequence. I have heard only good things about the system on other DBs, but I just can't find much info about Bertholy or the guy who released Bertholy's book, Doug Ferreri.

fdb2

New
The Bertholy book is a collection of drills and routines that were designed to teach the ADULT golfer the golf swing and to subdue the hit impulse ( or at least put it into it's place) I just received the book and am going through the programs. Bertholy suggested that you do the drills with a weighted pipe. In getting into his static positions I can really feel the effects of the weighted pipe and have already gained some flexibility and length without sacrificing accuracy. His program may not be the best but for us winter-off hackers the drills shouldn't hurt.

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by hue

"I wouldn't recommend the hip slide at all," EdZ: Why? The hip slide looks exagerated but I would have thought you would want hip slide to create secondary axis tilt as you would in a real swing.

The slide is good 'feel' to have, but actually moving that far forward through the ball is asking for trouble.

What this does do well is let you feel that left foot take the weight, and THEN turn through the shot......it is the 'bump' - it helps you 'feel' that Sam Snead 'squat' move, like you are sitting on your left 'cheek' at the start of the downswing (as you should feel the right 'cheek' at the top of the backswing).

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by fdb2

The Bertholy book is a collection of drills and routines that were designed to teach the ADULT golfer the golf swing and to subdue the hit impulse ( or at least put it into it's place) I just received the book and am going through the programs. Bertholy suggested that you do the drills with a weighted pipe. In getting into his static positions I can really feel the effects of the weighted pipe and have already gained some flexibility and length without sacrificing accuracy. His program may not be the best but for us winter-off hackers the drills shouldn't hurt.

fdb2: What is the book called ? Did he do many books? Could you go into some of his drills? Thanks.

dude

New
Now this is just me and probably has no relevence at all. Just kind of nagging. So heck, here it is. Maybe someone can be aided.

Homer stated that no matter if one uses a Hitting or Swinging Procedure, that the golfer needed to have a positive slide of the hips (This is either parallel or crossline). This is done while keeping the shoulders back. There is more to amount, plane etc.

Why I could not get this out of my head, is that most golfers start down with a hip turn. This has even been missed when golfers read Hogan's 5 fundamentals. It is easy to answer that this would throw the club off plane. Thats a big, Maybe.

The bigger problem is that when one begins the start down with a hip turn or not a positive slide, the trail shoulder and arm get way to close to the ball. The trail arm is so delayed in straightening that the clubface gets way open. So the point is to have a positive hip slide while keeping the shoulders back and then turn. The drill of Brian's about lag shows the turn part.

Okay, I feel better and can now sleep tonight. ;)

fdb2

New
quote:Originally posted by hue

quote:Originally posted by fdb2

The book is called "Golf Swing Construction 101" and is sold via the internet by Doug Ferreri, a long time Bertholy protege. You send him a check for $30.95 and he ships the book two days after receipt. Take note this guy is honest and delivers on time.

Regards FB You can find the site at www.paulbertholy.com

fdb2: What is the book called ? Did he do many books? Could you go into some of his drills? Thanks.

For most golfers when they make an athletic side arm throwing motion (similar to a golfers downswing) their turning will include a slide because of weight shift.

Dude,
that's a very interesting explanation.
I wrote a few questions and then deleted them. Damn, I'll be thinking about this all the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.