Best shot you ever saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redan

New
The best golf shot(s) I ever saw were in a Fred Astaire / Ginger Rogers Musical. There is a Fred Astaire dance routine where he starts tap dancing on an artificial practice range, he has a seven iron in his hand and as he does three or four 360 turns he hits a shot off a mat each time around. Each shot identical to the other, and why not, his timing and tempo is PERFECTION, about 130-40 yards, quite good for a mashie-niblick of the 1930s. Sorry, I can't remember which musical it was exactly...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Johnny Miller...#9 Lakewood CC New Orleans...in an ordinary round...

A 185 hooked (50-70 yard hook) 7-iron out of a fairway bunker with a lip to go over and no real shot.

So impressive I stood there after the shot, looking at what he just did...in awe.

Eminem

Banned
Tiger Woods - as a consession of shots - every single shot of his masters victory to get his forth major in a row was impressive to watch. Could you imagine that amount of pressure and the weight of expectation upon you. The way he mentally handled it shot after shot was just the most miraculous thing you could ever watch and he still manages to come out with a more than convincing win.

Sergio - as a single shot - a gigantic bend around around a sharp dogleg corner in the USPGA championship and still ends up pretty close to the pin whilst chasing Tiger (which he never did catch).

i watched the johnny miller shot with you, manzella...it was around 1985....it was more like 160 yards away....it was a good shot though...it did not end up on the green...

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hue

New
The shot Ben Curtis hit on the long par 3 11th at this years Open at St George's that secured his win. I had a little job at the Open for ABC TV and on Sunday my job was to relay the clubs were using on the long par 3 11th hole. The hole is downhill and just under 250 yards . The green sloped hard right to left and the breeze was into and right to left with the pin back middle. The only way to get close to the hole was to land the tee shot short and on the right edge of the green and let the ball run out to the hole. Most of the players were hitting 5 or 6 iron anyt shot that went right at the flag ended up in the left bunker. By the time Curtis turned up I had seen only one birdie. Faldo hit a great 4 iron and made the put. This was a hole where a bogie looked like a par. It was a get your par and get out of here hole and I had seen a lot of bogies on it by the time Ben turned up. Ben was leading when he turned up ,we made eye contact and he gave me a nice smile and looked relaxed his caddy gave him a club after a little chat and then came over to me and said 5 iron. He was the only caddy to do this. Some indicated the club being used by showing fingers others you had to work out by looking in the bag. He made a practice swing then set up to the ball and hit a great shot on the right line. The ball had a good first bounce and ran and drifted accross the green and settled close to the pin in the distance . He made the put for birdie and there was a big roar. At the time he played the shot I remember thinking if he gets bogie he is going to lose it ,if he gets par it is 50/50 if he pulls off a birdie he will win it. As soon as I saw the shot in the air I felt that he was going to win it. Over the radio I heard a guy say " Who the hell is this Curtis guy?" I heard another guy say " He is 396th in the world" then came a reply " Not for long " As he left the tee box I said to the caddy " Keep it together and win it." The caddy turned and said thanks. There was no prima donna rubbish going on with those two which was nice as there was a lot of that kind of thing going on all day . Mickelson's caddy had shouted at me earlyer telling me to "Stand there" and pointing his finger in a bad attitude and I felt like belting him. It was nice to see a real nice guy not a plastic actor win it. Tiger did not come over well on that tee or when I was inside the ropes following him a couple of days earlyer. He won by one shot I do not think he would have won the play off . So to me the tee shot on the 11th was the crunch point of the championships and maybe his career and he played it with a mind like water attitude. That really impressed me.

Nice story there Hue. I was a bit suprised about the prima donna nonsense that goes on. When I watched the Johnnie Walker classic down here in Aus. All the pros seemed to be really down to earth nice guys. Even Els and the bigger names had no probs with this.
Hmm best shot I've ever seen.... Would have to be at a small time Amateur Event in my home town (I say small, but it does and still continues to attract major australian talent, Jarrod Moseley won it Numerous times).. Anyway there was a big guy in this group we were following. He hits a nice drive on this Par 4, leaving himself about 120 metres. Pulls out sandwedge and procedes to drop it about 8 metres past the pin and rips it back into the hole hehe. That's the best shot I've seen in person. Of course there have been other great ones I have seen on TV.

hue

New
densikat: I met Jarrod at the Open qualifying at Princes at this years Open. He was playing in the same group as a friend of mine Geoff Loughrey. He is a nice guy . He is not very long but is very straight with the driver ,has a good short game although he is a bit of a nervy putter. Geoff was about 50 yards longer when they hit good drives and Geoff was using a Titleist Professional and Jarrod played the ProV x. Jarrod qualified. He is not great to watch but is very tidy and makes very few errors. I learned a lot about how to manage your game and course management by watching him. So did Geof. He told Geoff that he should go for his tour card this year. He is a very down to earth guy and is no way a prima donna. Australians tend to have a good attitude in sport they tend to play hard and do not cheat. You do not find them using drugs.
Els hit a great tee shot on the 11th on a perfect line on the right edge of the green . The ball hit a rock or something and kicked hard left into a bunker. I think he got bogey on that hole when the shot had birdie written on it in the air. He accepted the bad bounce well and laughed when he said " What have I got to do". He came over as very down to earth nice guy.

Yeh Jarrod isn't hugely long. Hits a nice reliable fade. I'm suprised about the nervy putter comment. He has always been known as a fantastic putter.

EdZ

New
Best shot..... my 60 foot putt down across a multi tier green to beat my pops, who missed his 10 foot bird for the tie.

Or my last ace....185 6 iron... or the 160 yard slam dunk of one of my playing partners a couple years back. Or the 180 yard 6 iron I hit out of THICK rough, over a tree, to 2 feet.

As for the pro shots....

Floyd's ace at Augusta in 96 on 16.... I was standing right there, or any one of Watson's shots in the third round of the 87 open.

Tiger off number 7 tee at pebble, standing right behind him. Damn, that guy can crush it, and a 3 wood no less!

i would have to say the 357 yard ace i made at a golf course in mammoth california par four. i hit driver little downwind breeze carried about 340 hit the bank on the front of the green bounced up into the cup while their was a group putting, and they werent at all mad. you can hit it like ten percent farther up their cause of the altitude. that was my second ace way better then the wedge i holed on a short 145 yard par three.

Status
Not open for further replies.