Bowed left wrist at the top

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I've had some success with Soft Draw and Never Hook Again, but am still plagued by a left. My left wrist is still bowed at the top with a grip the strong side of neutral.

Laid off and bowed like this has been lethal in the past, but Soft Draw helped sort the club out a bit. I know plenty of people have played good golf with a bowed left wrist, and I have too. Just want to try having a softer face at the top.

Yes, I need my left thumb more under the shaft at the top, but how do I do this?

The lagging clubhead takeaway has helped as I can feel more cup there to start with, but still disappears by the time I get the top.

Any advice appreciated. Cheers.

hp12c

New
Sounds like u will need to change from the bowed wrist at the top top a cupped wrist at the top in equal amount of how much you have it bowed. if that doesnt work weaken the left grip too. Keeping everything else the same. If that doeasnt work see your qualified Manzella instructor near you.:)

Sorry, wasn't clear enough. Wrist is currently bowed. Trying to get my left thumb more underneath the shaft at the top, but can't.

Nearest Manzella instructor? Thousands of miles away...

Sorry, wasn't clear enough. Wrist is currently bowed. Trying to get my left thumb more underneath the shaft at the top, but can't.

Nearest Manzella instructor? Thousands of miles away...

I gotcha now. I second what Kevin has said and would like to add that the weaker you grip the club with your right hand the less you will be able to get the left wrist bowed at the top, unless you're willing to endure some pain in your wrist joints...

Burner

New
Simple solution to a non-complex problem.

Why not just 'pose' the position at the top with what you consider to be your required grip orientation/alignments, then swing slowly down to address;
check your grip orientation/alignments and then swing slowly back up to the top and again check your grip orientation/alignments.
Do this a few times and you will soon get the hang of it without the introduction of any bowing or cupping.

Bowing, or reducing the amount of cup, is a fairly natural move (anatomically) in the backswing. Why don't you try to cup a little in the downswing? It might work. If not weaken both hands and bow as much as you like, it probably won't go left.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Bowing, or reducing the amount of cup, is a fairly natural move (anatomically) in the backswing. Why don't you try to cup a little in the downswing? It might work. If not weaken both hands and bow as much as you like, it probably won't go left.

What would he hit the ball with?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I'm with Kevin, most people i teach who have ingrained a flat or bowed left wrist it is very difficult to get them to stop doing it; me included. I'd just weaken the grip a tad and keep the bow and you should be good.

Also check your grip in general, whenever i started getting the lefts it was because i was getting sloppy with my grip and it was getting too strong and i'd hit it left. No other changes but taking my grip properly and they were gone.

A weaker grip is clearly a great solution. But what if he can't stand the feel of the weaker grip? Many strong grippers can't. What's option 2? Cos you can't just tell him to like his new grip or lump it, right?

I can't see past more release of the bow (or more cupping) in the downswing. Whilst I have already agreed with Kevin's observation about having less "to hit it with", what's the alternative? Anyone care to chime in?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
They way I usually weaken grips, the player has the same feel and the same grip, just the face is altered. There is def a good chance that a strong grip player won't like the Haney job on his grip, more in the palm.

Interesting point - I know what you mean, but as soon as you move the club it feels different. I did, however birdie 3 of the last 5 holes in the British Amateur many moons ago with the very change you're talking about (in order to avoid left going left with mucho left spin - FORE!).;)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
A weaker grip is clearly a great solution. But what if he can't stand the feel of the weaker grip? Many strong grippers can't. What's option 2? Cos you can't just tell him to like his new grip or lump it, right?

Not to be an ass but's that why we're out there with the student live...we have multiple things to try and stop the lefts. If they don't want to change the grip or the wrist position you can try different releases, different body positions...it's our job as a teacher to make it work. Almost impossible to list them all....but you'd be surprised how minor of a grip change will alter ball flight; especially the right hand.

Thank you. Interesting. Having a pretty standard grip, I have never thought about changing it. Obviously feels odd, but nearly feels like I have more cup just by getting my right hand more on top and kind of in the fingers. Probably Hogan-weak. The right hand feels more in control of the club, if that makes sense.

Can certainly be more assertive through the ball, which is all I am really after, the feeling that I can get forward and left without the ball going there as well.

Thanks again. Will let you know how it goes.

Langer changed, Azinger didn't. Both were successful. My question would be why didn't Zinger hook it?

But he did. Down the stretch at Muirfield when Sir Nick made his breakthrough.

But I suppose you mean why didn't he hook it like KP on every damn swing? Dunno. Cause he held it off just enough to hit a lowish cut?

Langer changed, Azinger didn't. Both were successful. My question would be why didn't Zinger hook it?

Because of his release. He and Redman worked on "knuckles up" finish ad nauseum. ANYONE can hook under pressure. Cept maybe Jack :).

Status
Not open for further replies.