Brandel and Faldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Tiger and the two-shot penalty, Kevin wrote:

He would've become a idiot if he ad withdrawn.

I definitely agree with Kevin about that.

Second, on the issue of disqualification, it was really nauseating to see Brandel and Faldo puff out their chests and frame themselves as men of honor who respect golf and Tiger as someone without honor who doesn't respect golf. Give me a break! Brandel and Faldo would've done the same thing as Tiger if they'd been in his position. But their playing careers are over so now they're free to spout all kinds of macho nonsense.

Third, I don't think Brandel has that much respect for the game. He's just figured out he can make a lot of money by ripping Tiger. He's a fraud who steals other people's golf instruction and then presents it in an incoherent fashion. Which only makes the game harder and more confusing for the golfing public.

I don't know about all of that, Lifter. In fact that's quite a bit harsh.

I will say I totally disagreed with them.

Brian,

If memory serves me right, you've had a lot of positive things to say about Foley's work with Tiger. Meanwhile, Brandel has been absolutely vicious going after Foley and incoherent in doing so.

Personally, I'm not Foley's #1 fan. Far from it. But he's definitely doing a better job than Haney.

At any rate, if you think Brandel's been fair to Foley, I'd be rather surprised. I think he's been vicious and unfair.

Sad irony that we lost Pat Summerall the day after the Masters. The "master" of the understatement who understood his role in the booth as well as anybody ever. As good as Jim Nantz is, I liked Pat better. RIP.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
At any rate, if you think Brandel's been fair to Foley, I'd be rather surprised. I think he's been vicious and unfair.

Brandel has been quite harsh on Sean & Tiger and in my opinion, somewhat unfair as well.

I told the head of Golf.com that I'd love to debate Brandel on the radar machine's use in teaching. I told them it would be epic.

Sad irony that we lost Pat Summerall the day after the Masters. The "master" of the understatement who understood his role in the booth as well as anybody ever. As good as Jim Nantz is, I liked Pat better. RIP.

To me, being the head announcer on Golf, especially Major Championship golf, is the hardest thing to do in sportscasting.

Summerall was the best ever.

Brandel Chamblee was an ok player with a nice looking golf swing. Not sure how he became an authority. The golf channel puts these guys up there and frankly they offer very little. I watched more than I should have during Masters week and was really surprised at how they can talk for hours and say so little.

All commercial TV is driven by two things: ratings and share. Brandel is a pawn, like most commentators. I'm sure the brass at TGC approve of everything he says when he moves the ratings needle and slap his wrists when he beats a dead horse. Peter Kessler was on a roll till he insulted the king.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Brandel Chamblee was an ok player with a nice looking golf swing. Not sure how he became an authority. The golf channel puts these guys up there and frankly they offer very little. I watched more than I should have during Masters week and was really surprised at how they can talk for hours and say so little.

An ok player? Anybody who played at Texas, led the masters at any point in the tournament, and was exempt on Tour for many years is more than an ok player and qualifies as an authority. I don't agree with everything he says by any stretch but he certainly qualifies to have his opinions heard. Is Nobilo an ok player or better than that?

All commercial TV is driven by two things: ratings and share. Brandel is a pawn, like most commentators. I'm sure the brass at TGC approve of everything he says when he moves the ratings needle and slap his wrists when he beats a dead horse. Peter Kessler was on a roll till he insulted the king.

This is emphatically not how it works.

TV execs biggest fear is losing or p*ssing off 'talent' - which gives the so-called talent a lot of power.

On-screen talent is treated like royalty on the set of any major TV production - every effort is made to keep them happy.

Which partly explains the ego-expanding effect of regularly being on TV!!!!!

This is emphatically not how it works.

TV execs biggest fear is losing or p*ssing off 'talent' - which gives the so-called talent a lot of power.

On-screen talent is treated like royalty on the set of any major TV production - every effort is made to keep them happy.

Which partly explains the ego-expanding effect of regularly being on TV!!!!!

Television is a for-profit enterprise. Ratings and share bring almighty $$$s. I'd love to hear Chamblee go on a rant about Arnold Palmer. You wanna see how he gets treated like royalty? He'll be doing weather forcasts in Fargo quicker than he say Brandel...

Last edited:
On Brandel, Kevin wrote:

I don't agree with everything he says by any stretch but he certainly qualifies to have his opinions heard. Is Nobilo an ok player or better than that?

Kevin, here's the thing: it's all well and good that Brandel had a successful golfing career. But that does not give him (or Gary Player) license to just make stuff up.

Here's an example of Billy Kratzert, another guy who succeeded on Tour:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a1eEJqJ5USg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Near the end, Kratzert claims "You can see that Tiger's head does not move up and down as much as we've seen in the past. It is very steady. That is very good and when Tiger does that, that's when he's his best."

Come. On! This man analyzes swings for a living on that On The Range show on Golf Channel. And he's just making stuff up with no basis whatsoever. Kratzert's playing career does not give him license to do that.

This happens over and over again. Johnny Miller is not the only one who does it. Everyone does. It's maddening!

Television is a for-profit enterprise. Ratings and share bring almighty $$$s. I'd love to hear Chamblee go on a rant about Arnold Palmer. You wanna see how he gets treated like royalty? He'll be doing weather forcasts in Fargo quicker than he say Brandel...

Talent, despite all appearances to the contrary, is rarely stupid!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a1eEJqJ5USg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Near the end, Kratzert claims "You can see that Tiger's head does not move up and down as much as we've seen in the past. It is very steady. That is very good and when Tiger does that, that's when he's his best."

Come. On! This man analyzes swings for a living on that On The Range show on Golf Channel. And he's just making stuff up with no basis whatsoever. Kratzert's playing career does not give him license to do that.

This happens over and over again. Johnny Miller is not the only one who does it. Everyone does. It's maddening!

Tiger's head is steadier than it has been at other times in his career in this sequence - it's a very controlled swing.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

Those are his OPINIONS. It's your decision if you want to accept it as fact or not.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Those are his OPINIONS. It's your decision if you want to accept it as fact or not.

Opinions are fine, but if there are facts that prove your opinion incorrect; then they really aren't your opinion you're just stating incorrect facts. I think that's at the heart of this debate and my problem with what a lot of JM says; i really respect his opinion on a lot of what he says but basically throw out the stuff that's swing related that is just wrong.

Note i'm not saying he's always wrong or that even what he thinks could have even helped him win all those tournaments; but it doesn't mean it isn't wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.