Bum-Against-Chair-Drill

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing someone else doing this drill, I tried it out and had success doing it.

My question goes, however, what it is this drill helps you do better.

Is it getting on the right plane? Keeping spine angle? Proper hip rotation?

The drill seems to do a lot of good for me, but I was just wondering what it really helps people accomplish?

Thanks

To my thinking this drill:
(1) ensures that in the downswing the right hip moves leftward (i.e. toward the left hip) parallel to the target line rather than immediately moving out toward the ball. This keeps the right shoulder from jutting out and allows the right shoulder to move down toward the ball.
(2) bumps the left hip toward the target to put the pelvis in position to promote a proper axis tilt.

tank

New
1. Setup with a chair behind you and facing in the wrong direction.

2. At setup, both butt cheeks should be touching the back of chairs backrest.

3. as you in your takeaway, maintain the contact between your right cheek (for right handers) and the chair.

4. on the downswing, while still maintaining contact between right cheek and chair, shift/bump right cheek toward the target and simultaneously rotate your hips so that both cheeks are again in contact with the chair (this is the transition, and will take you to about the halfway point in the downswing).

NOTE: It is important to keep your head back so as not to loose axis tilt and swing down too steeply

5. As you rotate to impact and through, maintain contact between left cheek and chair while right cheek rotates off.

rcw

New
Not the best idea

Putting a chair behind you is not the best way to train yourself to keep your lower body back. You would do better if you had someone in front of you take a piece of theraband and wrap it around you. Then actually have them try and pull you in the direction you don't want to go. You will have to resist the pull and stabilize your body. That will actually train you better. The tough thing is to actually hit balls like this. You probably just want to make swings without a ball.

Basically this drill should teach you to "post" the right leg on the backswing and pivot the left hip around it, and then "post" the left leg on the downswing and then pivot the right hip around it...

Which you can do without a chair......:D

Thought about doing it up against a wall, what would that add to the drill. That would, beside teaching the proper hip rotation, add plane to it as well, or?

tank

New
Thought about doing it up against a wall, what would that add to the drill. That would, beside teaching the proper hip rotation, add plane to it as well, or?

I cant see anything wrong with using a wall instead of a chair.

JRJ

New
Chair Drill

I was taught that many players incorrectly move closer to the ball on the downswing so keeping your butt against the chair creates the space needed to swing your arms through on plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.