Can Amateur win Major?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redan

New
There is a young man who this year won the US Amateur, US PubLinks and Western Amateur, as well as some NCAA stuff. He's going to turn pro after British Open (so he doesn't lose exemptions to first 3 major tournaments). According to USGA Magazine he has a "home made swing" and has never had any systematic instruction.... the Butch & Lead & Haney Vampire Trio must be salivating....But is it possible for an Amateur to win a Major in this day and age?

EdZ

New
Anything is possible, especially for someone with enough talent to have won those events.

An experienced caddy would be a big key IMO.

quote:Originally posted by redan

There is a young man who this year won the US Amateur, US PubLinks and Western Amateur, as well as some NCAA stuff. He's going to turn pro after British Open (so he doesn't lose exemptions to first 3 major tournaments). According to USGA Magazine he has a "home made swing" and has never had any systematic instruction.... the Butch & Lead & Haney Vampire Trio must be salivating....But is it possible for an Amateur to win a Major in this day and age?

If Ben Curtis can win one the an amateur can.

redan

New
I am indeed talking about Ryan Moore. I couldn't remember his first name when I started this thread...

Moore has a very steep, laggy, homemade looking swing. It's UNLIKELY he will win one of the majors. He's LIKELY to make it on tour. It's a SURE BET that a "name" instructor will come along and try to change his swing. And, it's an ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that, if it happens, he will never be as good as he would have been otherwise.

redan

New
Not sure about Augusta, but I think an amateur could win at Pinehurst or St Andrews (at St Andrews weather permitting). EdZ you're right about a good caddie...

I'd say anything is possible in the links, but frankly don't see an amateur winning Masters, PGA or US Open.

How do you see course lenght factoring in?

Pro

New
I often wonder how we would have predicted what kind of summer Ryan Moore would have had if we were back having this discussion last spring?
My guess is we would have been a long way off his season!!!
One thing for sure, the guy knows how to win.

Todd

rwh

New
If you want to count the ladies, I think that Michelle Wie is a very good candidate to win a major before she turns pro.

fdb2

New
quote:Originally posted by brianman

Absolutely an Am will win a major one day.

Not to appear to be too disagreeable but maybe.

If you're talking about pure talent, no doubt. What about Sunday at the Masters or US Open?? There have been a few cases where the pressure made the wheels come off of a few notable Ams like Venturi and that's before our now hyped media blitz that all the young players contend with. ( I would like to be good enough to experience what Els or Phil experience let alone Tiger) (Hell, I would like to be good enough to try to handle the media coverage of say Tom Lehman.)

Status
Not open for further replies.