David Toms' followthrough and finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hue

New
Brian: I notice that Toms and Michael Finney both have similar follow-throughs . Both seem to make a deliberate attempt to keep the pivot moving so that they have a straight right arm with the hands far away from the head in the finish as opposed to a more wrap around type finish. Did they get this finish naturally or did they deliberately work on it?

I would say that Ben helped me most with regards to my follow through position. I would only be guessing about David. We never discussed mechanics much during our practice sessions together. Brian could probably give you more insight about him.

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by Mike Finney

I would say that Ben helped me most with regards to my follow through position. I would only be guessing about David. We never discussed mechanics much during our practice sessions together. Brian could probably give you more insight about him.
What did Ben teach you to get that follow through ? I really like it and want my finish along the same lines.

basically, john, it was just him pointing out the difference between address and impact (hands, head, and hips)......his constant encouragement to know beyond any doubt that you did in fact hit down on all chips and pitches....allowing your arms to be spaghetti so you could use centrifugal force to shoot them out.....avoiding over acceleration at all costs......

really it was just hitting lots and lots of pitches and punches with lofted clubs...trusting the mechanics and letting them happen instead of forcing them to happen....

as far as the finish...i have always tried to let the swivel happen and try my best not to manipulate my hands in any fashion as i work toward finish...the ball is long gone anyway

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by Mike Finney

. Brian could probably give you more insight about him.
Brian: Did you work on getting Toms to his stylish finish or did this just happen ?

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by brianman

David used to finish with the club pointing back to the plane line and his hands much higher.

I HOGAN-ized him, so to speak.
What did you do to get him more HOGAN-ized ?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I got him to trace the Plane Line like I did to you, Hue....lol...and then I got him to finish with his right wrist more bent, with the shaft accross his hair line.

Worked out ok, huh?

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by brianman

I got him to trace the Plane Line like I did to you, Hue....lol...and then I got him to finish with his right wrist more bent, with the shaft accross his hair line.

Worked out ok, huh?
Funny you should say that Brian. That is EXACTLY what I have been working on and YES it did work out OK .

Status
Not open for further replies.