Delivering - from the range to the course

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help, I do not know what it is, or why it happens but I am unable to take my game from the range to the course with any consistency.

I strike the ball well, I strike consistently, I putt reasonably well (wont set any records but my putts per 9 holes over the last 2 dozen rounds average16.X), my last few rounds vary considerably with 1*38, 2*39, a couple of 40's and 41's and then catastrophic melt downs.

I don't have a particular miss, I will hit the ball fat, but less and less frequently these days, I also tend to pull hook with the driver when its all going a little pete tong, but the broader problem is the massive variation from round to round.

its not that I'm not capable of putting together solid rounds, or even having good rounds for me and knowing I left 2-3 shots out there, its that the next round could be horrific.

I'm pretty certain that this is not a technique related issue, rather a mindset one, but would be interested to know how people approach these problems.

Andrew

I've found that a good way to help with this is before you go to the course from the range, hit your last 20 or so balls to different targets on the range. I'll hit one shot to a flag on the left side of the range, then the next shot to a flag on the right side of the range, then the next shot to the middle flag on the range, etc. Just keep doing that. Use different clubs if you have to. The thing with actually golfing is that you have to aim at different targets that are at different angles from shot to shot. On the range though, we get very fixated on hitting to one target. We then assume because we take time to aim at that one target and even go thru a pre-shot routine on the range, that will suffice. But on the course, we have different targets with lies and conditions from shot to shot.

3JACK

To me the problem with the original post is that really lacks content that would allow for some useful recommendations. 3Jack is totally right about hitting to different targets on the range. I don't know what strike the ball well, strike it consistently, and putt reasonably well means.

Is the poster a 4 handicap or a 24 handicap? You can shoot 90 by bogeying every hole, or by having several holes with doubles and triples.
Which would best describe this golfer?

The poster's first paragraph is a widespread problem. There are no repercussions at the range. There are no tree lined fairways, lakes, or bunkers. The range has flat lies, the course has tilted lies. Big difference. At the course, your mind can take over and all of a sudden you are worried about consequences. There are books about this mindgame thing. One should also raise the issue of course strategy. What you choose to do after you hit one into big trouble, can also just ruin that hole. The chip out is often the smartest choice, but we try for the thrill of the miracle shot.

Think about a tour event. You don't get to see those players that missed the cut. You can bet that some of them are having melt downs in the first two rounds. Now move down through the skill levels until you reach the guys shooting let's say 75 to 90. The problem you are describing is occuring everyday to a whole lot of golfers. No easy answers.

Play nine holes alone. Play three, four, even five balls per hole if you can. I usually find it's possible to do at least a two ball round even if it's a fairly busy day on a weekend. I don't putt everything out, maybe take one putt just focusing on distance/speed and stroke and this usually gives me more time to work on ball striking.

Standing in one spot on the range hitting 35 8 irons in a row, getting in a groove so to speak, may not translate over to the course because it's just not the same. If you’re a "range pro", maybe it's time to move on and practice in more golf like situations. What better place than on the golf course? I think there's a built in amount of pressure on the course and it's a lot easier to challenge yourself with different targets, different lies, bunkers, shots over water ect, not to mention the fact that you have to stop and get out of your groove to walk/ride to your ball. Plus you'll be using different clubs. It's just more golf like and may be just what you need.

It really helped me to just spend less time on the range (I LOVE THE RANGE). It's just not realistic and I'm far too comfortable there.

I have similar consistency issues, but more related to trying to find a rythm when playing with others, particularly slow players. I played poorly this weekend with 3 friends, and shot 90. One of the guys is painfully slow. He's very plodding on EVERY shot, and the round took close to 5 hours. The course has free replays so after they left I played 9 more holes. I played those 9 in about 1 hour 15 minutes, and that was playing multiple balls on every hole because the course was pretty empty. I played those 9 holes in 2 over par (I only counted the first ball played on each hole for score). It just kills me that I can't seemed to put together a round like that when I'm playing with friends. My thinking was that when I'm playing by myself, I play so fast that there is really only time to react, no waiting between shots with time to think about things. I can't figure out how to play slower without letting my big melon head screw things up for me.

Anyways, I do totally agree with Shot Limit about playing on the course more, and range less. There's such so much more a variety of shots and lies you can practice on an actual course that you don't get at the range. Plus my range has matts to hit off of which I feel like is screwing up my iron game. A local 9 hole course only charges $5 after 6:45, and that's even cheaper then my range too.

I have similar consistency issues, but more related to trying to find a rythm when playing with others, particularly slow players. I played poorly this weekend with 3 friends, and shot 90. One of the guys is painfully slow. He's very plodding on EVERY shot, and the round took close to 5 hours. The course has free replays so after they left I played 9 more holes. I played those 9 in about 1 hour 15 minutes, and that was playing multiple balls on every hole because the course was pretty empty. I played those 9 holes in 2 over par (I only counted the first ball played on each hole for score). It just kills me that I can't seemed to put together a round like that when I'm playing with friends. My thinking was that when I'm playing by myself, I play so fast that there is really only time to react, no waiting between shots with time to think about things. I can't figure out how to play slower without letting my big melon head screw things up for me.

Anyways, I do totally agree with Shot Limit about playing on the course more, and range less. There's such so much more a variety of shots and lies you can practice on an actual course that you don't get at the range. Plus my range has matts to hit off of which I feel like is screwing up my iron game. A local 9 hole course only charges $5 after 6:45, and that's even cheaper then my range too.

Johnny, you have just described my exact feelings. I shot my best round, an 81, and I played the entire round in 3.5 hrs with a couple friends! Played the same course 2 days later, same conditions, but it took nearly 5 hrs. - shot a 97! I guess playing fast doesn't allow time to "overthink" things. And I agree 100% about the matts. I can count on hitting irons fat for some reason anytime I play after hitting on mats. No idea why, but it's true..

I like the range, but I play better when I play more actual golf. I'm actually sneaking out this evening around 5:30ish in a heat index of 101, and I'll probably finish!

Status
Not open for further replies.