Elbows at Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
At address, should one avoid allowing the elbows to point sideways away from the body? If so, how come...any influence on swing path...? Disadvantages and advantages of this setup method

And, does positioning the ball forward help squaring the clubface more easily when having lots of hip slide? Or what are the reasons for having the ball forward (like Hogan) when suffering from lots of hip slide on the downswing?

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Elbows and Ball Position...

I lightly suggest that the elbows should be turned slightly inward when I teach them. Here is an except from a long ago article I wrote:

"The proper positioning of the elbows is more downward than outward. From here the golfer can turn his left arm AND wrist 90º during the backswing for a classic top-of-the-backswing position. If the left elbow is turned outward he can only turn the wrist that amount to get to the same destination. The right arm should bend straight up and down during the backswing, which is only possible from the elbow down condition at address. Otherwise the golfer must also rotate the right arm as it bends on the backswing."​

As far as ball position, the more MAXIMUM your trigger delay, the more SNAP your release, and the more HIP SLIDE you employ, and the more you need the PLANE LINE not to fudge out to right field, the more forward you ball position should be.

:)

THE MANZELLANATOR said:
If the left elbow is turned outward he can only turn the wrist that amount to get to the same destination.

Brian man- could you clarify this statement please?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.