FLW - Putting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having read that you should apply the imperative of TGM to putting, I was just pondering how important that flat left wrist really is for putting, and why? Also, what methods do use you teach yourself to draw a straight plane line when putting...Excerises, anything?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I don't putt with a flat left wrist. I use plane lasers to trace a straight plane line. If you can do that consistently, all you have to do is find the right ball position for your stroke and watch the putts drop.

I think that a stable left wrist is important, as opposed to a strictly flat left wrist; see Zach Johnson, he maintains a firm right wrist, but the relationship is basically unchanging. That being said, Jim's right about the plane line being the most important thing...I just happen to believe that it's easier to trace a straight plane line putting if the wrist is "stable."

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I think that a stable left wrist is important, as opposed to a strictly flat left wrist; see Zach Johnson, he maintains a firm right wrist, but the relationship is basically unchanging. That being said, Jim's right about the plane line being the most important thing...I just happen to believe that it's easier to trace a straight plane line putting if the wrist is "stable."

Actually clubface control is the most important in putting with plane line coming in 2nd. However once you get the plane line control down, it's a matter of putting the ball in a position to get that clubface right.

I putt in a similar fashino as Zach does with a bent left wrist.

A bent left wrist at setup as long as it remains in the same position at impact is the equivalent of a flat left wrist. You can also hit flop shots this way!

Last edited:

bray

New
A bent left wrist at setup if as long as it remains in the same position at impact is the equivalent of a flat left wrist.

In fact what you describe above is called a Geometric Flat Left Wrist.

Sorting Through the Instructor's Textbook.

B-Ray

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
A lot of great putters let their wrists 'release' too(Tiger, Roberts, Faxon).

I don't think a flat left wrist is important. Then again, I don't think tracing a straight plane line(in putting) is as important as some would make it out to be.

For the golfers....control the aim, control the starting direction, and control the speed that the ball enters the hole.

For the teachers ... understand the influence of the club, understand the influence of the body and it's joints, and understand the influence of the brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.