Foley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
What is the secret of Sean Foley's success?

Getting a foot in the door and then finding the right students who can do his pattern IMO. Right place at the right time. We're in a weird era where the teachers are damn near as well known as the players. I, for one, am tired of hearing about coaches in golf. It's as if no one can play on their own anymore.

When Sean O'Hair leaves and then Hunter Mahan is quoted as saying technically I'm no good right now it just shows that golf is too tough and success is so fleeting. Coaches can only do so much.

Last edited:
I would love to see a player be really successful without a coach to bring some balance and perspective back to this over coached over gymed over nutritionally perfect golf world we have pushed at us now. I am a coach and have been for 15 years and I get kids now who think it's nothing to do with them working hard it's about some magic secret that the coach can tell them. They think less time hitting balls and more time in the gym is gonna make them tiger woods. . . . Still the best way to get good is to play golf and dig it out the ground . . Find your own way. We help as coaches but we are not the super stars. . All these guys have worked like crazy and still do out on tour, it's the hardest game it will never be mastered . . More players like Bubba we need. it's a fun game and shit happens when you you have a club moving that quickly

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Sean's success is fairly easy to figure out.

He is a really smart guy, knows how to talk to 10 guys and know who knows what, and he knows how to play the game.

He is a pretty funny, really super nice guy, who never goes anywhere looking like a bum, and has created an image that is really sellable.

He is a very hard worker, and a good motivator.

He took his early chances (Ohair and Ames) and parlayed them into a all-world stable.

What else you wanna know?

ej20

New
He even plays golf with it on.

foley_manbag.jpg

Well, I used to be a body release guy..or what used to be called a body release. It was some vision of the arms swinging left like a big undisturbed moment arm, face staying perpendicular to the path, and all the other accessories that came with that vision....and it woked perfectly in my vision.

But it was really hard to make it look like my vision on video. There seemed to be disturbances throughtout, especially one big disturbance in the impact zone that I couldn't tame.

Everything made perfect sense in my head about how it should look as long as I kept thinking that energy was poured into the clubhead like water pours out of a pitcher--almost a kind of 45 degree constant ramp up.

When you think about the swing like that, you force-feed an arm wipe and take "swing" out of the motion. You also fall into a magnificent love affair with the idea of an arbitrarily centered pivot because you can monitor the wipe better.

Then you wake up one morning with a bad hangover and release that energy gets punched into the downswing like spikes, not poured with a ramped up flow. At that point, a "neutral" release takes on a totally different set of characteristics.

Based on watching Tiger's practice swings, and Mahan's practice swings, and O'Hair" practice swings before he left, it's my opinion that Foley still thinks the energy ramp up is a smooth slope.

If he thought of the energy as a sudden disturbance, which I believe is it's truer character, I think you'd see Tiger's eyes turn behind the ball more going back, and better arm flow coming down and through.....and he might even be able to hit a high draw again.

Well, I used to be a body release guy..or what used to be called a body release. It was some vision of the arms swinging left like a big undisturbed moment arm, face staying perpendicular to the path, and all the other accessories that came with that vision....and it woked perfectly in my vision.

But it was really hard to make it look like my vision on video. There seemed to be disturbances throughtout, especially one big disturbance in the impact zone that I couldn't tame.

Everything made perfect sense in my head about how it should look as long as I kept thinking that energy was poured into the clubhead like water pours out of a pitcher--almost a kind of 45 degree constant ramp up.

When you think about the swing like that, you force-feed an arm wipe and take "swing" out of the motion. You also fall into a magnificent love affair with the idea of an arbitrarily centered pivot because you can monitor the wipe better.

Then you wake up one morning with a bad hangover and release that energy gets punched into the downswing like spikes, not poured with a ramped up flow. At that point, a "neutral" release takes on a totally different set of characteristics.

Based on watching Tiger's practice swings, and Mahan's practice swings, and O'Hair" practice swings before he left, it's my opinion that Foley still thinks the energy ramp up is a smooth slope.

If he thought of the energy as a sudden disturbance, which I believe is it's truer character, I think you'd see Tiger's eyes turn behind the ball more going back, and better arm flow coming down and through.....and he might even be able to hit a high draw again.

Great truth spoken here Virt. If someone is convinced that the "arc controls the club face" he would instruct his students accordingly.

Hey Virt, I was never a body release guy because it never made any sense to me. Everybody talked about keeping the face square for longer and I just couldn't make any sense of that.

Does that make me smart, or just conceited? Or both? ;)

Sean's success is fairly easy to figure out.

He is a really smart guy, knows how to talk to 10 guys and know who knows what, and he knows how to play the game.

He is a pretty funny, really super nice guy, who never goes anywhere looking like a bum, and has created an image that is really sellable.

He is a very hard worker, and a good motivator.

He took his early chances (Ohair and Ames) and parlayed them into a all-world stable.

What else you wanna know?

When you say he knows how to talk to 10 guys do you mean
1. groups
OR
2. the 10 most important guys for him?

Also, do you think he is like a guru (a la Tibet) to these younger and possibly dumber guys on Tour because of his pseudo philosopher life view persona? Do you think this philosopher act thing is a marketing ploy?

Is he modest or conceited?

Is he a cool cat?

Is he married?

Does he control a room? (ie centre of attention)

How big is the fact that he's a decent player?

I don't know anything about Foley personally, but philosophers in general annoy me.

When I run into golf teachers that are also philosophers, they sound awesome over a beer, but they are utterly incompetent when the hosel rockets start flying.

When I was 25 years old, I was a kind of "technical golf philosopher", and I should have been booted off the driving range. The students I taught then unknowingly sacrificed their golfing lives for the students I help now.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about Foley personally, but philosophers in general annoy me.

When I run into golf teachers that are also philosophers, they sound awesome over a beer, but they are utterly incompetent when the hosel rockets start flying.

When I was 25 years old, I was a kind of "technical golf philosopher", and I should have been booted off the driving range. The students I taught then unknowingly sacrificed their golfing lives for the students I help now.

My bet is you will once again become a "technical golf philosopher". Only you will have the correct philosophy if you don't already.

Be careful what you wish for. One of Sean's favorite philosophy quotes is: "to whom much is given, much is expected.". Well....if one were given possibly the greatest player who ever lived, is it unreasonable for us to expect "much.".

Status
Not open for further replies.