Getting to the top of the swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been working on the neutral grip and have found a drill that really gets me into a good position at the top. From the Never Slice Again article, I address the ball, bend right wrist so that left wrist is flat and club is parallel to target and club face points up. From this point, I turn body keeping left arm connected to body and get into a good position at the top.

I saw Charles Howell working on this drill last year with a Swingyde and he was hitting balls from this position so I have been trying it and am now hitting the ball great with this drill - great contact and very crisp shots.

The problem is I am still having problems replicating this from normal address and shots can be slighty weak and slicy.
I have found I hit the ball better when hands are well forward at address but feel this may deloft the club too much.

Is this common when changing grip? Any suggetsions are gratefully received.

Please realize this reply is from a novice (certainly not a teacher or one trained to detect swing problems!) However I would like to keep the subject alive and read others opinions. I am studying TGM and desperately looking for a book entitled, "TGM for Dummies!"

I suspect you are going back and forth from a hands controlled pivot to a body controlled pivot.

If you notice on tour more and more pro's include in their waggle a practice takeaway where they make sure the toe of the club is pointing up, ie. Mike Weir, Annika, Karrie Webb, DiMarco, and on and on. Mike Weir even said last year when he tried to stop doing this, his whole game went to hell.
Point is, left shoulder turn versus hands only is fool proof and try to ingrain toe up position on takeaway it does alot but most of all ingrains left shoulder turn and clubface in straight up position. From there, all one has to do is complete the backswing and let the transition from the top happen without jerking the club down. Let the coil do the work on the downswing. You will be amazed aat the quality of your shots.
When I ingrained these moves several years ago, my handicap went from 12 to now a 3.

quote:Originally posted by wally888

Please realize this reply is from a novice (certainly not a teacher or one trained to detect swing problems!) However I would like to keep the subject alive and read others opinions. I am studying TGM and desperately looking for a book entitled, "TGM for Dummies!"

I suspect you are going back and forth from a hands controlled pivot to a body controlled pivot.

Many TGM dummy books and videos out there, Evans and Herbon are two that boil it down... others. Of course Brian does a stand up job. Check Chucks old site, lots of great TGM explantions in there:

http://pub30.ezboard.com/bthetruthaboutthegolfswing9747

Without these forums, Homer would be a much tougher read for me

Thanks beedee. Didn't know the site existed.
I have read everything here, at TGM and C. Evans. Also wearing the book out.
Have app't w Danny Evans. Some day I may be able to do a little more than ask!

Status
Not open for further replies.