Golf in Asia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see some forum members are based in what we crazy Westerners refer to as "Asia".

I'm curious as to how the golfing world is in this part of the world. I would be great if some of you guys could give a brief description of how things work in golf clubs in your neck of the woods. Any takers?

In Japan, most private clubs have an initiation fee but no monthly dues. Greens fees are charged per round for members and guests, and are pretty pricey. Golf Shops are extremely minimal, and the "Head Professional" is more of a GM than anything. Breakfast, lunch between 9s, and dinner & drinks after are pretty much required. If you live in Tokyo, a day of golf ends up taking about 15 hours and costs over $500 when all is said and done.

Erik_K

New
A friend of mine lives in Hong Kong and if he ever plays...he has to go to Japan. From the last post you can see how costly golf in HK must cost.

I guess I should not complain that I can play at some halfway decent courses for $50 (sometimes much less).

Erik

There's only one public golf course in Hong Kong (population of over 7 million). A round costs ~USD100.
There are a few other very exclusive golf clubs, some of them has 20+ years waiting list.
Many golfers go to China to play, e.g. Mission Hills Golf Club (I'm not a big fan but my white friends seems to love it).
The older golfers love to use expensive Japanese equipment.
Very few trackman in HK.

A friend of mine lives in Guam. He said every weekend, there are some Japanese golfers that fly in to play golf because it is cheaper to play there even when you include the airfare.

Golf in Asia has exploded in the 16 yrs I have lived here. We are spoiled for choice out here to play World Class golf courses driven by an insatiable demand from Japanese, Korean, and most recently Chinese golfers, in addition to a rising middle class in Southest Asia and a healthy sprinkling of expatriates and tourists. I have lived in Thailand this past year or so but prior to that I lived in Japan for 9 yrs and HongKong for 6. Japan courses as noted are expensive (although the cost is closer to $300 rather than the 500 previously posted) and are in immaculate shape and a few are breathtaking, especially the ones with an up close view of Mt. Fuji. All but a handful accept guest play. China has hundreds of new courses that have opened in just the past decade, and some resorts have as many as 12 courses at them, all designed by name brand architects, same ones as the U.S. uses. Most of Southern China and HK play these courses as they are only about an hour from downtown HK. They are hybrid private / guest fee oriented, you can play most with a phone call to the pro shop or one of the local tour operators.
As far as Thailand, it is golf heaven...perfect weather from Nov to March, a bit hotter in the late spring. Great golf in Bangkok area, Phuket, Chiang Mai. Gorgeous and tourney ready, cost around $100. Best part....great female caddies! Worst part...during the high season, thai courses are inundated with Japanese and Korean golfers who feel justified in taking 6 hrs for a round of golf....nonsense! I've joined a private course at a not unreasonable cost to have access to favorable teetimes and a guaranteed 18 holes under 4hrs.
Vietnam is quickly catching up with seaside golf resorts and with a dozen courses in and around Saigon has started to become a golf destination.
So...longish post but very incomplete regarding whats golf like in Asia. Now if we can only get Brian and his crew out here for a bootcamp with style!

When I worked for one of the first mail order pro line golf equipment stores back in the 80's and 90's, we used to get huge orders from people in Japan. They would order everything from staff bags to shoes and these orders would be in the thousands of dollars, they spared no expense... They liked their golf equipment.

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, I'm starting to get an little bit of a picture of how things are over there. Would it be fair to say that in Japan it's very expensive and everywhere else it's "normal"? How's S. Korea?

S Korea is wildly expensive. And because it is so far north, courses around Seoul have a very short season.

Status
Not open for further replies.