Grip pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which fingers should feel the pressure when gripping? Know that the right forefinger should be feeling the pressure when it comes down to the right hand, but what about the other hand?

Right hand: Ring and middle finger, you need to keep those two firm so your hands don't seperate and the index finger is the lag "feeler".
Left hand: Last three fingers firm and the thumb is the lag "feeler"
Don't put any pressure back on the "feelers" or you will throw the club head. I believe the whole key is the right hand, getting the ring and middle fingers with enough pressure to maintain the hands as one unit and not so much pressure that it destroys the feel of the index finger.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Listen, i can grip the club as FIRM as i want or as LIGHT as want IN ANY FINGER and still strike the ball well.

Don't get all hung up where to put "pressure." Remember your hands are just CLAMPS! They are doing NOTHING but holding onto the club!

Where you end up "feeling" some pressure is subjective, just make sure you have some sort of lag pressure point and you'll be fine.

I'm sorry Jim but it is hard taking you serious with that avatar!...I believe in a good grip and it probably varies between people. I know that TGM calls your hands "clamps" but that’s the only part of your body that touches the club and I want a good connection. I know that when my swing starts to get inconsistent it is usually my grip or setup, straighten them out and everything is back on track. For me the lag pressure points start disappearing when my grip gets off, I thought that might help Fingersen. That’s what works for me. If you can grip it like a wrench and it works for you, great.

Even though it says it in the book I don't believe the hands being "clamps" is all they do. The hands "turn", the wrists "uncock" and the hands "roll".

I suppose I could see the "clamps" idea when things become automatic and the forces are taking command. But even then the hinge action would have to be preprogrammed for the shot at hand.

So, are you saying that Educated Hands "clamps"?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Even though it says it in the book I don't believe the hands being "clamps" is all they do. The hands "turn", the wrists "uncock" and the hands "roll".

I suppose I could see the "clamps" idea when things become automatic and the forces are taking command. But even then the hinge action would have to be preprogrammed for the shot at hand.

Unless you are training yourself for some kind of move like the twistaway the hands shouldn't be doing ANYTHING except holding onto the club.

The left wrist cocks by the folding of the right arm (not anything you do with the left wrist), the left wrist uncocks by throwout action (unless you're hitting but even then you aren't doing anything with the hand or wrist you're thrusting the right arm). Lastly, as long as you are tension free in the swing the left arm will roll to the plane in the backswing and roll back to the plane in the downswing without help from you.

The key is to move your hands with your pivot and not move your hands with your hands.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I'm sorry Jim but it is hard taking you serious with that avatar!...I believe in a good grip and it probably varies between people. I know that TGM calls your hands "clamps" but that’s the only part of your body that touches the club and I want a good connection. I know that when my swing starts to get inconsistent it is usually my grip or setup, straighten them out and everything is back on track. For me the lag pressure points start disappearing when my grip gets off, I thought that might help Fingersen. That’s what works for me. If you can grip it like a wrench and it works for you, great.

As long as your have your hands on the club properly for you, you're fine. You don't need to have all these fancy pressure feels in this finger or that finger. Just put your hands on the club correctly and sustain a lag pressure point into impact and you are going to hit the ball pretty good.

Unless you are training yourself for some kind of move like the twistaway the hands shouldn't be doing ANYTHING except holding onto the club.

The left wrist cocks by the folding of the right arm (not anything you do with the left wrist), the left wrist uncocks by throwout action (unless you're hitting but even then you aren't doing anything with the hand or wrist you're thrusting the right arm). Lastly, as long as you are tension free in the swing the left arm will roll to the plane in the backswing and roll back to the plane in the downswing without help from you.

The key is to move your hands with your pivot and not move your hands with your hands.

Jim, I never said that the left wrist cocks... I said the left "hand" turns, the left "wrist" uncocks (I know that sounds funny) and the left "hand" rolls.

Can't it be that the left hand turn causes the right wrist to bend which in turn causes the right forearm to rotate consequently bending the right elbow (folding the right arm) causing the right hip to get out of the way and lowering the right shoulder? Of course it can....and does, only if you like. We have choices, if I've learned anything from TGM.

An educated pivot can only move (effectively) educated hands. Educated hands can only move (effectively) an educated pivot. But the real idea behind these concepts is being able to move the club. It takes both...one sequence or another...don't think it matters either way. However.....

The simple wording of turn, uncock and roll has a potential few have endeavored to explore. How much can the hands turn, how deep can the wrists uncock, how much roll do you need for the shot at hand...none, half, full?

If the hands are clamps then how do we deal with roll? Hold back if we don't want too much? I don't think so, sorry. Hands as clamps sure if you only want one thing. I want options to create, therefore, I look to see the potential of my hands and consequently the clubface.

spike

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
If the hands are clamps then how do we deal with roll? Hold back if we don't want too much? I don't think so, sorry. Hands as clamps sure if you only want one thing. I want options to create, therefore, I look to see the potential of my hands and consequently the clubface.

spike

Then you don't understand how hinging works. To create the clubface to full roll, half roll, or reverse roll is all in how you setup and allow your hands/arms to work.

If i want a full roll, i play a normal shot where my arm will roll to the plane and then roll back simply "holding on." If i want a half roll i RESIST the left arm from rolling arm by keeping the face shut and simply only allow the left wrist to uncock so that it doesn't roll.

However this is all a much more advanced topic and we are moving off the original poster's question about pressure in the hands. If you want to discuss hinging then please start a new thread.

Thank you

Then you don't understand how hinging works. To create the clubface to full roll, half roll, or reverse roll is all in how you setup and allow your hands/arms to work.

If i want a full roll, i play a normal shot where my arm will roll to the plane and then roll back simply "holding on." If i want a half roll i RESIST the left arm from rolling arm by keeping the face shut and simply only allow the left wrist to uncock so that it doesn't roll.

However this is all a much more advanced topic and we are moving off the original poster's question about pressure in the hands. If you want to discuss hinging then please start a new thread.

Thank you

Thanks Jim,

Where in the book does it say the hands are clamps? Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.