Harmon "teaches" pitching to a handle-dragger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harmon's got a real nice hand action, no? He has, however, total disdain for his pupil, who has zero feeling for this hand action, no?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HttXJN0u5E8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And if that guy is a tour pro I'm a fekin astronaut.

Last edited:
I had the chuckle when he checks his watch to see how much longer he has with this lesson before the next "G Note" comes rolling in.....

As said here before the brain recruits the nessecary amount of body needed. The thing that hits the ball is the clubhead, our only attachment to that are our hands. SMART HANDS SMART BALL STRIKING.

Never seen Ollie pitch like that. What about parametric acceleration to increase spin. Don't tell the student that, use Brian's words of pull the grip off the shaft. Works perfect for chip yippers. Dump and Pull.

I thought it was good info and demonstration by Harmon, but it's amazing how someone (the student in this case) has been taught to drag it and can't seem to get out of it.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
There's nothing that special about that pitch shot; he's just trying to get him from delofting and hitting down too much and even identifies him as a "dragger." That's a tight lie and is just trying to get him to release the club and slide that clubhead right under the ball to create a lot of friction for spin while simultaneously reducing compression which results in high spinning low ball speed shots that STOP.

Anyone who has been on a TM or FS knows that you'll generally get more spin from a bit more of a delofted "hit down" style pitch but that's because you're also creating more ball speed and that ball isn't going to stop very quickly on a slick green.

Recipe for the "As Seen on TV" pitch:

Ingredients:
1 part swing speed
1 part ball speed

Directions:
Bake in the sun at 85* for about an hour

Servings:
Serves one well

Harmon's got a real nice hand action, no? He has, however, total disdain for his pupil, who has zero feeling for this hand action, no?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HttXJN0u5E8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And if that guy is a tour pro I'm a fekin astronaut.

I'll bet a lunch buffet that this player has been taught the "a pitch is just a shorter full swing" nonsense.

The action Harmon is teaching doesn't look at all to me like JMO's. Followthrough is much longer and it's in his BODY TURN to finish the chip.. not hand action.

Take the club back with the hands and arms, swing forward with your pivot. And yes, HOLD OFF THE RELEASE. Look at Jose's finish. It's a textbook "block".

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
The action Harmon is teaching doesn't look at all to me like JMO's. Followthrough is much longer and it's in his BODY TURN to finish the chip.. not hand action.

Take the club back with the hands and arms, swing forward with your pivot. And yes, HOLD OFF THE RELEASE. Look at Jose's finish. It's a textbook "block".

Pitching is an "art;" to me anyway. I have a bunch of ways to hit pitches based on what i need to do. Can't just make an assumption based on 1 video. Now i'm not saying you're wrong, you could be 100% right but there's no way to really know.

Pitching is an "art;" to me anyway. I have a bunch of ways to hit pitches based on what i need to do. Can't just make an assumption based on 1 video. Now i'm not saying you're wrong, you could be 100% right but there's no way to really know.

I agree, it's definitely an art with some science behind it. Seems there's more research for impact with full swing than there is with chipping and pitching.

I prefer not a "handle drag" approach, but as I simply put it above. Take it back with the hands and arms, swing through with the body and JMO's chip shot embodied that to me. Not near the turn of the hips or lower body on the backswing but almost entirely on the follow through.

ZAP

New
I really would like to see Bryan do an updated short game video. My lessons with Kevin have helped immensely but there are still times I feel stuck in between my old handle dragging self and where I want to be.

From my perspective, the moment I started to eliminate as much independent arm/hand action from my pitching, was the day I started to show improvement. For me, the last thing I wanted to do was take it back with my hands and arms. I want the feel that the shoulders are the driving force to the pitching motion with connection and structure...

I would also be the first to include the need for the sensation of the arms being swung and not overly-accelerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.