Head and neck interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggsjpc

New
Can someone explain to me the importance of a flexible neck as it relates to the pivot. It looks to me that annika and duval turn their head in order to improve their pivot.

I've been practicing trying to turn my head and pivot as fast and hard as I can and have had much greater success producing a powerful pivot with bent right wrist and flat left wrist at impact.

In Annika's case, her coach Henri Reis, had her initially hit wedges this way because Annika would body freeze at impact and chunk her wedges. By releasing the head earlier, it allowed her to improve her weight transfer and keep the flat left/bent right arrangement. In Duval's case, if he did not let the head go, the extreme closed clubface would catch and smother the ball left. Duval keeps the flat left/bent right relationship well by releasing the head.

The average tour pro releases the head by 10-15 degrees. This comes from Dr. Rob Neal who does the biomechanical feedback for Jim McLean.

ej20

New
Not turning the head will restrict the pivot to some degree depending on your flexibility.

I don't think it's necessary to swivel the head as you start the downswing pivot as it will not restrict the pivot this early on.Keeping your eyes fixated on the ground where the ball was after impact will restrict the pivot and you can't "fire the right side" through.The right shoulder quits too soon,the right arm straightens too soon,the right wrist unbends too soon and finally the flip...it's a chain reaction.

I think this is a very neglected part of teaching in particular with regards to less flexible players.We can certainly learn something from Annika here.

Joe Durant and Robert Allenby are considered two of the best ball strikers on tour and both release their head early.

I love showing these clips to students who think that "head down" is the magic elixir of good golf. BARF

Regarding the backswing pivot:

I see issues with eye dominance and backswings... I can pick a "cross dominant" golf swing from 300 yards away.

Right eye dominant/right handed golfers (vice versa for lefties) are at a serious disadvantage.

Joe Durant and Robert Allenby are considered two of the best ball strikers on tour and both release their head early.

I love showing these clips to students who think that "head down" is the magic elixir of good golf. BARF

Regarding the backswing pivot:

I see issues with eye dominance and backswings... I can pick a "cross dominant" golf swing from 300 yards away.

Right eye dominant/right handed golfers (vice versa for lefties) are at a serious disadvantage.

Hmmm, interesting about the eye dominance! I am definitely right eye dominant, and right handed. Cmartin, can you explain to me what disadvantage that is, and what can be done to work on those disadvantages? I know one thing I notice is that I have serious alignment issues when having to hit out to the right.:(

A left eye dominant right handed golfer can rotate his head to the right on the backswing and still see the ball. Right eye dominant has a difficult time doing this.

Unfortunately the term "head down" is the biggest culprit here.....

Relative to the shoulders, the head can only rotate about 70 degrees to either the right or the left......
This means, on your downswing, with your head facing down at the ball, once the right shoulder has closed the angle to that 70 degree position, there is no choice but for the right shoulder to "collect" the head and rotate it to the left....

However, at that point, the right arm is nearly pointing straight down the target line (depending on head position at impact), but it is well after impact...

Therefore any strain on ther neck muscles from "holding the head down" are caused after impact...

Take a look at Ernie's swing (you can see his stills on the latest Callaway ad)...you will see that his head is collected well into the follow through (watch hiim in slo.mo too...:))

Perhaps it would be better if teachers stated to keep the "eyes gently down" or "head gently steady", rather than head down, which implies a force...

From my own perspective, I have tried releasing the head earlier, but find it leads to big pushes and inconsistent ball striking, as there is a tendency to come out of it too soon...

I think it may be an OK move for people who can hit a lot of balls in practice (like pros), but maybe not for the average player...

Last edited:
A left eye dominant right handed golfer can rotate his head to the right on the backswing and still see the ball. Right eye dominant has a difficult time doing this.

Makes sense...a had a couple lessons where the pro tried to change my driver swing somewhat, said my head was a little too still, which probably was restricting my backswing. ( I have a short backswing )When I tried letting my head move a little, I damn near missed the ball,:eek: and one thing I do have is excellent eye / hand coordination. Not saying eye dominance is the reason, but it's possible I guess! Guess I'll have to live with a short, restricted backswing:(

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Make a circle with your hands and look at a target through the circle. Slowly bring your hands to your face. The circle will go towards the dominant eye.

Also if you close one eye and can't see the target, then the other eye is the dominant eye. If you close one eye and can still see the target that is your dominant eye

Great link Curtis. I'm right eye dominant so I'm gonna start learning to play golf left handed. Should be pretty simple. :eek:

"The majority of the golfers are right eye dominant causing them to stare at the ball with their right eye. Now if you make a good coil somewhere near the top of your swing the bridge of your nose (its worse if you wear glasses) blocks your right eye from seeing the ball. This causes two problems: either you turn you head to see the ball or quit coiling so you can maintain eye contact.

Solution: Turn you head at address so your dominant eye looks at the ball; e.g. if you're right eyed dominant and right handed take your normal address position then cock your head toward the target."

How your Body Relates To Your Golf Swing - VISUAL SYSTEM. TJ Tomasi

I don't even see the ball throughout the swing, at least not like I did in baseball. From my perspective, the ball is somewhat fuzzy in appearance for the whole swing, coming in and out of fuzziness through the swing. I also, have a tendency to let my head swivel in the DS and don't see the ball leave the face(sorenstam). Maybe, this is why I'm having issues with startdown. BTW I'm left eye dominant. Anyone know what I'm talking about and if so, do you think this may be a problem as to why I have issues??

Z

Zztop

I don't even see the ball throughout the swing, at least not like I did in baseball. From my perspective, the ball is somewhat fuzzy in appearance for the whole swing, coming in and out of fuzziness through the swing. I also, have a tendency to let my head swivel in the DS and don't see the ball leave the face(sorenstam). Maybe, this is why I'm having issues with startdown. BTW I'm left eye dominant. Anyone know what I'm talking about and if so, do you think this may be a problem as to why I have issues??

Why do you need to see the ball after setup? Except after impact when it's in flight.

Why do you need to see the ball after setup? Except after impact when it's in flight.

It's a serious question..really. I couldn't hit balls today, so I didn't get to test it. I would think seeing it is kind of important. I look at great swings and I'd say 95% of them look at the ball until seperation. It is something I've never noticed until we talked about it in this thread..at least I know I'm not ball bound.

Z

Zztop

It's a serious question..really. I couldn't hit balls today, so I didn't get to test it. I would think seeing it is kind of important. I look at great swings and I'd say 95% of them look at the ball until seperation. It is something I've never noticed until we talked about it in this thread..at least I know I'm not ball bound.

I'm serious about my question,i never see the ball touch the clubface or see seperation at least not consciously on a full speed, full swing. When i hit a ball in baseball i never see contact, i feel it , hear it, but that's just me maybe other people can see that.

I never even worried about it, maybe at setup how you position your head and how the dominate eye is looking at the ball could have some importance.

I guess you have to try some different setup with the head/eyes to see what happens. I'm left eye dominate also.By the time I see the golfball it's already out there a ( fair ways), well i hope it's in the fairway.... lol

Last edited:
I'm serious about my question,i never see the ball touch the clubface or see seperation at least not consciously on a full speed, full swing. When i hit a ball in baseball i never see contact, i feel it , hear it, but that's just me maybe other people can see that.

In baseball, I was taught to really concentrate on the ball, to pick up the seams to catch spin..it is possible, especially in high school/ college level ball. Somehow, in golf it just never dawned on me to do it(focus on the ball), probably pivot related and I just started. If I can clearly see a baseball coming in at 85-90mph then a stationary golf ball shouldn't be a concern. I have a huge BS pivot that I can't control..maybe that's the issue. I just don't know.:confused:

Z

Zztop

In baseball, I was taught to really concentrate on the ball, to pick up the seams to catch spin..it is possible, especially in high school/ college level ball. Somehow, in golf it just never dawned on me to do it(focus on the ball), probably pivot related and I just started. If I can clearly see a baseball coming in at 85-90mph then a stationary golf ball shouldn't be a concern. I have a huge BS pivot that I can't control..maybe that's the issue. I just don't know.:confused:

I guess your talking during the backswing, not impact. Do you swivel your head ala Nicklaus during your backswing pivot?

Status
Not open for further replies.