Hitting Down -the antithesis...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOS

New
...or is it [?]

In the recent hot thread titled "Hitting Down - Ben Doyle Video" Dentman described his difficulty. I learned alot through the many fine responses [^] but, unfortunately, my trouble seems to be just the opposite. :(

I hit my short irons plenty high however, the trajectory gets much lower as the club gets longer. My driver is the worse, barely getting 10 feet high with lots of roll. [V] This is 180*, exact opposite, of Dentman. :(

Should I be hitting up the ball [:eek:)], down less, or is something else going on?

After watching Ben's "tire trouble" video and Brain's 1-4 plus confessions video [^] I've been working on a better pivot. Instead of siding my hips back and forth, I'm trying to "rotate" from hip socket to hip socket. I you know what I mean this "hip switch" feels entirely different than the "slide". It seems to help maintain my spine angle, gets my shoulders working up and down plane, and steadies my head movement. :)

Am I on the right track? Any idea what I can do to improve?

SOS

Jayro1

New
I had a similar problem, Lynn Blake fixed it by adjusting my right hand grip, weaker, making sure #3 pressure point was behind the shaft instead of under, and moving the ball more forward.

quote:Originally posted by brianman

You probably need a combination of a more forward ball position AND more axis tilt.

Brian, would that be more axis tilt at setup or added during the swing?

SOS

New
Brain, from Yoda's "Tire Trouble" video recently I have using the setup procedure Ben prescribes with the ball 1 inch behind the left heel for all clubs.

As for right hand grip, typically, I try to emulate Hogan (neutral). However, I found with the new, more forward, ball position and better pivot, strengthening my right hand a tad is better for some reason. Maybe it helps lower the right elbow.

Brain, as for spine tilt, I'm hoping the better pivot helps that as well. BTW, your videos are very informative and a great help.

I have been doing a drill where I stand with my feet nearly touching, then half swing using only pivot power. Pivoting onto my right hip then the left really requires me to actively use my knees and feet. At the top my weight is on my right heel and hip socket. At the finish my weight is on my left heel and hip socket. Hence I call it the hip switch. That is the right concept is it not?

Any other good pivot drills out there?

SOS

Status
Not open for further replies.