Hitting it of the toe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been hitting my driver and woods of the toe recently (maybe my irons as well, not sure).
I've tried addressing the ball more of the heel to compensate for that but even with that I still have toe hits.

What could be the cause for this? My misses with the driver are normally hooks.
I found this old thread http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfin...sing-ball-toe-club-why-does-work-so-well.html. It is mentioning that some address the ball of the heel to incourage to swing more to the left, so could toe hits indicate a path that is too much inside-out?

Thanks

ParHunter

A lot of the times toe shots are the result of a fit in move where you come in too steep and raise the handle of the club to try and save the shot, hooks could be from a closed face or maybe gear effect or both.

A lot of the times toe shots are the result of a fit in move where you come in too steep and raise the handle of the club to try and save the shot, hooks could be from a closed face or maybe gear effect or both.
Do you mean this a reaction to not hitting it fat? But wouldn't that be similar to going normal in a way?

The less I try and manipulate the clubhead the less I hit on the toe. (Which at one time was chronic for me) In my case it was a path issue, outside-in, introduced by and masked by my manipulation.

Do you mean this a reaction to not hitting it fat? But wouldn't that be similar to going normal in a way?
Not really the same move, going normal as I understand it from Brian and Michael is more of a move pulling toward you, where as the fit in or early extension move is more coming out of posture and raising handle so you don't crash into the ground, usually caused by coming in to steep. I am not saying this is what you’re doing but I know a lot of guys suffer toe shots from this compensation.

My miss is thin, and occasionally on the toe. I find when I lift up, my body coming out of posture, I tend to toe it consistently. In fact if you asked me to hit one on the toe, I could do it 100 times out of 100 by simply standing up on my downswing.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Toe shot with driver, check the path. Sounds like out/in, at some point. Could be early or late in the downswing. Try hitting drivers with your right foot well behind your left foot as a DRILL. This will help you feel the more in/out and side bend through impact you need with a driver.

Toe shot with driver, check the path. Sounds like out/in, at some point. Could be early or late in the downswing. Try hitting drivers with your right foot well behind your left foot as a DRILL. This will help you feel the more in/out and side bend through impact you need with a driver.

I would be surprised if it is out to in as I normally am too much in to out.
I got a better result by standing up a bit taller and closer to the ball.

Btw has someone tried the swing byte? I would love to have a device that tells me whether my path was inside out or outside in.

I experimented with a stronger grip and couldn't not hit the toe unless I backed everything up. Back to neutral she goes.

Btw has someone tried the swing byte? I would love to have a device that tells me whether my path was inside out or outside in.

Forget about Swingbyte as a path tool.

art

New
I've been hitting my driver and woods of the toe recently (maybe my irons as well, not sure).
I've tried addressing the ball more of the heel to compensate for that but even with that I still have toe hits.

What could be the cause for this? My misses with the driver are normally hooks.
I found this old thread http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfin...sing-ball-toe-club-why-does-work-so-well.html. It is mentioning that some address the ball of the heel to incourage to swing more to the left, so could toe hits indicate a path that is too much inside-out?

Thanks

ParHunter

Dear ParHunter,

I have seen this problem before, and treated it as described below.

Please review OUR exchanges on 3-4-12, 3-5-12 and 4-11-12, and then Google "Bumpy Back vs Diagonal Stance" to get you back on track, and THANKS for pointing out that whatever I write in response to a post, needs MY ATTENTION to RETENTION.

So, to prove the point, and try to help you, I bet, after taking your stance with the driver, you CAN'T take 10 consecutive 100% energy swings at THE RUBBER TEE without moving your feet BECAUSE OF YOUR DYNAMIC UNBALANCE, and the resultant error generating REFLEX reactions that cause your toe hits.

Please let us know.

Best regards,
art

It is a surprise too me that 'Bumpy back, keep it back' isn't the first thing YOU ESPECIALLY would go to to reestabablish your balance.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

Ok, if so that's a bid odd but i was going to suggest after the first sentence stand closer to the ball and a bit taller but you are already doing that haha

art

New
Hi Art,

I am using your bumpy back already and I like it but it doesn't seem to fix this problem.

Regards

ParHunter

Dear ParHunter,

Oh, for a video!!!!

Have you posted a video in the past??

If not, as you can imagine, 'Bumpy back' etc. is just a part of a complicated set of dynamics involving the lower and upper body dynamic movements of the downswing, BUT probably helps capture 70-80 percent of the important stuff.

One easy thought ParHunter, you may be spinning your shoulders HORIZONTALLY before impact, and that is a probable cause of toe hits.

If so, just send your left shoulder UP the clubs swing plane until impact, then it can go horizontal.

If the left shoulder fix does not work, it seems to me there is probably a bit of lateral shifting towards the target in your downswing. While a little is OK, it starts to reduce the stability margins established with Bumpy back.

So, have a friend stand BEHIND you and see, from the top of the back swing, if the back of your neck moves forward, and by how much during the downswing. Try a driver, 7 iron, and wedge to see if this changes, and how the toe hits are changing as well.

After your swings this way, just try this as a comparison. Aim your tailbone (coccyx) straight down, or better yet towards your rear foot as you put your 'Bumpy back'(you will feel a more forward weight distribution). Try to keep the tailbone aiming down during the back swing, and the downswing, 'Keeping Bumpy Back', and tailbone pointing straight down, or better yet towards your rear foot.

Sorry to have to slightly complicate "Bumpy back', but my guess for you is that some secondary imbalances are developing during the early part of your downswing (transition), before the maxima of the kinematic sequences, and these are almost impossible to recover from, after most of the kinetic energy in in the upper body has been established.

Hope one of these work, please let us know.

Regards,
art

I "thought" I was swinging in to out with a driver until I was on a Tracman for the first time last Friday. Pretty eye opening experience.

I am not a clubfitter, and don't play one on TV, but, from recent personal experience I learned that consistent toeward hits can be a sign of clubs being too long. Seems counterintuitive but the fitter explained to me that if the club is too long, the player will compensate by pulling up on the shot (so that the club doesn't stick in the ground), thus creating a hit toward the toe.

Even though I am 6'1", my new irons are 1/2" short of standard due to my longer than normal arms. And I now hit my irons more in the center of the face.

Just something to check out.

It is wildly inaccurate.

Hi Mike, do you have a link to some reviews? I was hoping to get the SwingByte when it comes out in the rest of the world. I've heard of problems with the device moving around and hence making the readings random but I believe they are working on that. But if it even generates random values when everything is setup correctly then I better stay away from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.