How Do YOU Take The Club Back To The Top???

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the time I started playing golf (1996) the two main issues I've always battled are (1) getting my thumb under the shaft in a strong (feel not orientation) position at the top of the backswing (my thumb would always roll a little clockwise or weak, feeling as if it were sliding off the side of the grip...I am right handed....TWISTAWAY has helped) , and (2) coordinating the backswing in a smooth manner to allow me to get to (1). When I was younger (and about 25 pounds lighter) #2 wasn't an issue. I was pretty smooth with the takeaway, but still had issues with #1. Now I fight a bit of a hitch...taking it back and then up. I want to recapture the smooth blending of my younger years.

How do YOU take the club back to the top? Just yesterday I started experimenting with an equal or rhythmic blend of left forearm pronation and right elbow folding, which feels pretty good but I realize it's something I will have to practice over and over (slo-mo, real-time, etc.) before it becomes ingrained. Before I do that though, I like to know if I'm going down the right path with that maneuver?

I've heard of people just taking it back with the right arm only, pushing it back with the left hand, pushing the left thumb down as you take it back. What's gets you back to a strong secure, top of the backswing in a nice, smooth, rhythmic manner?

Thanks

Last edited:
willgolfer,

One thing that has helped me lately is not over extending the left arm, to the point where the left shoulder is pulled out and away from the socket (feels like a left lat stretch).

A slight twistaway also helped me, just being aware of the effects twistaway CAN have, has helped my understanding and feel of my backswing.

Matt

Left arm, with a little twistaway, to carry the club to the top. I've tried to use the the right hand, but it's a no go; even if I'm using a pivot dominated backswing where I feel no independent at all, I have to feel like the left hand is controlling the club going back.

try using greg mchatton's drill\image of moving the LIMP-MUSCLELESS left arm by using the pivot (ankles-knees-hips-tummy) to move the left arm to the top in a rythmic way as if slinging a limp thick rope...starts in the feet...

Status
Not open for further replies.