How to shallow out a downswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any suggestions to shallow out a downswing? I've had someone say to take practice swings on an upslope. Any other drills or training aids?

Without a club, on the downswing get the inside of your right elbow to push your right hip around.....in other words right hip leads....

A Drill To Help Shallow You Out

Here is a drill. Tee the driver relatively low and try to hit it thin. Once you get good at hitting it a little thin with the lower teeing height, raise the tee a little and repeat. You'll be shallowed out before you know it.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Here is a drill. Tee the driver relatively low and try to hit it thin. Once you get good at hitting it a little thin with the lower teeing height, raise the tee a little and repeat. You'll be shallowed out before you know it.

No offense but that is a bad idea, it can introduce a lot of other problems not too mention the potential damage to your driver.

Practice shots with the ball slighltly above your feet and practice drawing it from that lie A LOT. Then put the ball in a normal lie and try to swing with the same feeling

What is your ball flight?

With a driver, i hit everything straight. Sometimes a straight pull (slight) or a straight push (slight). I"m assuming is it from a very slight over the top move. With irons, it is straight or a slight draw. I'm assuming I still have the slight over the top move, but due to the loft, it doesn't effect me as much. I never seemed to have the ability to drop the club to the inside, so I come down just a bit steep.

No offense but that is a bad idea, it can introduce a lot of other problems not too mention the potential damage to your driver.

Practice shots with the ball slighltly above your feet and practice drawing it from that lie A LOT. Then put the ball in a normal lie and try to swing with the same feeling

This wasn't my incarnation; rather, it came from a Texas gentleman who won a whole bunch of tournaments in a row back in the day :).

I have used the drill and found it very helpful for me to shallow out my mid-irons right through my driver. It helped me to learn to keep my upper body back as I simply could not do the drill successfully otherwise. What bad stuff do you think might come along for the ride? Thanks!

With a driver, i hit everything straight. Sometimes a straight pull (slight) or a straight push (slight). I"m assuming is it from a very slight over the top move. With irons, it is straight or a slight draw. I'm assuming I still have the slight over the top move, but due to the loft, it doesn't effect me as much. I never seemed to have the ability to drop the club to the inside, so I come down just a bit steep.

This may sound naive, but why would you want to "fix" a ball flight like that?

Because my misses are in two directions. My last round, I hit 5 fairways and missed 5 left and 4 right.

I will trade you that for my swing. :D Are your misses overly off the fairway or just? U might be fixing something that is already good and you know the maxim, if it's ain't broken, don't fix it.

Gotcha -- I thought when you said "slight" you meant a little more slight than that :D

no problem. here is the deal....first of all please don't consider this bragging. But, I am a scratch golfer, but I make the most of my abilities because I can chip and putt with anyone. I don't hit a lot of fairways or a lot of greens. But, I feel in my heart that If I can hit 10% more fairways and greens, I could compete in my state for some state am tournaments. Right now, I am a Top 30 guy, but wouldn't consider myself Top 10. Everyone always tells me, "why mess with it, you are a good player". But in reality, i feel I can get better, but I will need to change something. I really don't have the financial ability (or vacation time) to go see Brian or any other quality instructor, but want to improve.

no problem. here is the deal....first of all please don't consider this bragging. But, I am a scratch golfer, but I make the most of my abilities because I can chip and putt with anyone. I don't hit a lot of fairways or a lot of greens. But, I feel in my heart that If I can hit 10% more fairways and greens, I could compete in my state for some state am tournaments. Right now, I am a Top 30 guy, but wouldn't consider myself Top 10. Everyone always tells me, "why mess with it, you are a good player". But in reality, i feel I can get better, but I will need to change something. I really don't have the financial ability (or vacation time) to go see Brian or any other quality instructor, but want to improve.

Dude, that's awesome. I hope you find the help you're looking for.

btp

New
I would stick an old shaft or driveway stake a few feet to the right of your ball at about a 45 degree angle and swing under it. Should work right away. You can hit balls doing this drill. Opposite drill works well if you get a little too shallow and inside out.

Status
Not open for further replies.