How to shallow out angle of attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some good ways to shallow out one's angle of attack?
I hit the ball too high for my liking and I'm pretty sure it's not because I flip it.

One very simple thing, but often over looked, is to check is ball position. From there, more forward shaft lean would be my next change.

S

SteveT

I hit the ball too high for my liking and I'm pretty sure it's not because I flip it.

Do you take a divot or do you just nip the ball ..?? It makes a difference.

Apex is supposed to be the same through the set. Might be a good idea to find a Trackman and determine your actual apex by club. Penetrating flight might be good, but what I see on, forget the name of it, Flight tracker during the tournaments typically appears to be a very high ball flight.

The comment about hitting 5 iron higher than most people hit their Sand Wedge is very believable, but the reason is that swing speed and skill level of most people pretty well sucks.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I am pretty sure this doesn't happen with the best strikers. It doesn't even come close to the same apex. Does anyone have data/evidence to back this up?

Best ballstrikers have the same apex through the bag.

Are you sure you want to shallow out the angle instead of steepening it?

All else being equal, won't a shallower angle of attack increase the height of a shot?

Is the goal lower shots?

What Kevin says, or rather, asks.

Shallowing the angle of attack will tend to increase dynamic loft. Word seems to be that hitting more downwards does NOT increase backspin, and a more shallow attack doesn't decrease it.

Yeah, it's the relationship between AoA and Dyanmic Loft that will affect the amount of backspin.

But, AoA will affect launch angle. More down = lower launch, less down = higher launch.

Apply the same principles horizontally (the golf ball doesn't know the difference):
All else being equal, a more leftward path through the ball = more leftward initial horizontal launch.

S

SteveT

Do you take a divot or do you just nip the ball ..?? It makes a difference.

If you can't provide your TrackMan AoA and clubhead path, you must at least explain if you are currently hitting down or somewhat level.

Without knowing your starting point, nobody can legitimately tell you to increase or decrease your AoA ..!!!

So a 2 irons has same apex as a 5 iron? Might be one of those things I have to see before I believe haha...

I have noticed that the only club that tends to be a couple yards lower in apex than the others is the 3 iron. Perhaps because the 3 iron is often used for more "specialty" shots? A stinger off the tee box, for example.

So, yeah, I would imagine that the 2 iron has an even lower apex for the same reasons. Other than that though, I can verify that even some of my "average" students have very similar apex's throughout the bag.

ggsjpc

New
So a 2 irons has same apex as a 5 iron? Might be one of those things I have to see before I believe haha...

I'm not 100% sure actually. It just looks steep on camera.

They all have the same apex but that apex occurs at different distances away from the golfer. This causes those shots that reach the apex sooner to look higher and those that reach the apex later to look lower.

My guess is if someone has a lower actual apex with their long irons they may not have enough clubhead speed to justify using those irons.

All else being equal, won't a shallower angle of attack increase the height of a shot?

Is the goal lower shots?

All else being equal (specifically dynamic loft), the more descending the angle of attack, the higher the spin loft, equaling higher shots.

I think what you are saying is that if the dynamic loft in relation to the attack angle does not change, and the attack angle becomes more descending, the ball flight will go down. Which I feel is very plausible and happens quite a bit, therefore hitting down on the ball does not necessarily guarantee higher spin rates.

Ex. A) Dyn. Loft=30, AofA= -3, Spin Loft=33 (Mid)
Ex. B) Dyn. Loft=30, AofA= -5, Spin Loft=35 (Highest)
Ex. C) Dyn. Loft=28, AofA= -5, Spin Loft=33 (Mid)
Ex. D) Dyn. Loft=28, AofA= -3, Spin Loft=31 (Lowest)

You can see in A and C the Dyn. Loft and AofA relationship is the same and spin loft should remain the same. I think the spin loft equation is a good simple way to equate height.

ej20

New
You don't see many tour pros using 2 irons anymore.Some are even dropping the 3.You need Tiger like clubhead speeds to hit those clubs high enough without flipping them.

Status
Not open for further replies.