I need a clarification...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian I stumbled across this article online but I am having a difficult time visualizing what you are saying (or quoted/edited to have said) in this drill. If you can help me to "get it" it would be much appreciated. My apologies for my inability to visualize the drill.

".......... "Although it can be difficult to get these numbers exact without the help of a TrackMan unit," Manzella adds, "the following drills will help you swing your irons and driver in a way that will significantly improve your contact, accuracy and performance."
TIP: HOW TO HIT UP AND TO THE RIGHT WITH YOUR DRIVER
A mistake players make when swinging their driver is opening their hips to the target line too early. This forces the club to swing outside-in and strike the ball with a descending blow -- the exact opposite of what TrackMan advises.

To fix this error, place your driver between your legs so that the shaft sits against your right thigh. Swing to the top and hold the shaft gently against your thigh with your right palm. Now swing your arms down and shift your weight while keeping your hips closed. If you do it right the grip should push your right palm only a bit. If you do it incorrectly and allow your hips to open too much, the shaft will move way outside the target line.

TIP: HOW TO HIT DOWN AND TO THE LEFT WITH YOUR IRONS
To hit solid, straight iron shots, you need to hit the ball with a descending blow and swing slightly left of the target. It sounds doable, but the problem is that many amateurs move the club either below the proper plane, which makes the swing too flat and to the right, or over the plane, which makes the swing too steep and too outside-in. For a straight shot, trace a line slightly left of the target line as you swing through impact and beyond. Here's how...................."

source: Science of Impact: Recent breakthroughs prove you need two swings to score low | GOLF.com

Thanks again.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
It is a keep your hips closed longer than you think drill.

I'll find a pic of it.

The whole drill is in the new book I am in with some other Top 100 Teachers.

Status
Not open for further replies.