Ideal TV Show for Golf Instructors

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Golf Channel contest and the references to the next "Golf Fix"-type show got me thinking: what kind of a new, different format would help the general golfing public?

How about showing a real lesson, with student and teacher giving commentary on it as it's being shown?

What kinds of ideas for golf instruction tv shows formats do you all think would work?

Sounds about right to me mj.

I am no expert but cannot see it being done another way.

You are teaching so why not teach, as you normally teach.

Surely there can/will be some "solo" stuff but...teaching students on-air...yes...

Skype-type live (internet video streaming) lessons could be pretty cool too...

Communicating could be a challenge but I presume it could be done well enough.

People do phone lessons so...

I'd like to see someone who knows their stuff analysing pro swings or a key part of their games and then taking that on to the lesson - what the average golfer can learn from them. We have Swingvision, but it is only used for twenty second clips with brief analysis. I'm sure a show could make more use of that and this would be better than another tip show full of anti-slice fix after fix.

And I'd still like to see a Biggest Loser style show with handicaps not weight! Two instructors, two teams of handicap golfers and away you go. Challenges, eliminations, and so on. Would be interesting to see how much anyone could improve over a period of time, especially if there was a method vs a more pluralist coach...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
"SuperMANZ" "Zeroed Out" "Problem Solved" "The Golf Answer"

I'd like to see someone who knows their stuff analysing pro swings or a key part of their games and then taking that on to the lesson - what the average golfer can learn from them. We have Swingvision, but it is only used for twenty second clips with brief analysis. I'm sure a show could make more use of that and this would be better than another tip show full of anti-slice fix after fix.

And I'd still like to see a Biggest Loser style show with handicaps not weight! Two instructors, two teams of handicap golfers and away you go. Challenges, eliminations, and so on. Would be interesting to see how much anyone could improve over a period of time, especially if there was a method vs a more pluralist coach...

I think I have said this a bunch of times before....but....

There is NEVER going to be a "competition" between teachers. Not in modern times anyway.

But, my show idea of going to someone's hometown, fixing them, and showing the process, the conversations, he back story, the human element, and the travel aspect of it, is what I think would be a very highly rated (for golf) show.

The reason it hasn't been done is:

#1. Hank Haney couldn't fix anyone in a season. So the producers think no one could in a couple of days, or one.

#2. The teacher is not that interesting.

#3. Same lesson, over an over.

Obviously, I have those three problems solved. We'll see.

dbl

New
The golf channel did run a competition a few years ago. They had project students and some pros like McLean And Reinmuth. I think tgc called them the "golf troubleshooters." The goal was to get the golfer to break 100 (or 90, I forget) in one recorded round after several months of work. Mclean had one guy, Reinmuth another guy. When the original group was done, they went on for another couple shows...in once case one pro took on a husband/wife duo.

Watching the episodes it became apparent who knew their stuff and who could teach, and who didn't/couldn't. Fairly dismal overall. But really, imo, all the terachers presented basically flopped. Maybe it showed the high level pros who could teach PGA Tour guys just couldn't deal with hacker problems and improve them much after weeks and weeks.

More than anything else, the ideal TV show makes you feel good watching it. Understand that positivity, encouragement and saying things that feeds peoples ego is of paramount important. If you actually find a way to get them to get out of their couch and go and play or practice, they will get better and they will accredit that improvement to you.

What you actually tell them to do is of secondary importance.

More than anything else, the ideal TV show makes you feel good watching it. Understand that positivity, encouragement and saying things that feeds peoples ego is of paramount important. If you actually find a way to get them to get out of their couch and go and play or practice, they will get better and they will accredit that improvement to you.

What you actually tell them to do is of secondary importance.

This is true. However the information given to them is of equal importance because we all know if your going to practice the wrong things then you might as well not be practicing at all. Unless you feel like getting worse off than you were to begin with.

Like the idea of the travel in there as well. If you could find independent places to teach without stepping on any toes. Or a way to bring the local pro or instructor into it somehow.

Interesting anyway!

This Golf Channel contest and the references to the next "Golf Fix"-type show got me thinking: what kind of a new, different format would help the general golfing public?

How about showing a real lesson, with student and teacher giving commentary on it as it's being shown?

What kinds of ideas for golf instruction tv shows formats do you all think would work?

In the UK they did a programme where they had to teach somebody who had never played golf before. I think that would be popular.

In the UK they did a programme where they had to teach somebody who had never played golf before. I think that would be popular.

It could be but then again... with a bunch of new golfers your bound to end up seeing the same lesson taught over and over again. There are only so many things someone can work on at the same time.

It could be but then again... with a bunch of new golfers your bound to end up seeing the same lesson taught over and over again. There are only so many things someone can work on at the same time.

Yes the programme showed a series of lessons the golfer had over a period of 6 months, so it would be just one person taken through a series of lessons.

Yes the programme showed a series of lessons the golfer had over a period of 6 months, so it would be just one person taken through a series of lessons.

This seems like a bigger problem because from experience I know not every golfer is the same. There are so many different problems and different solutions to the same problems that a majority of the people watching a show like this wouldn't be able to actually take much from it. Lessons should be 1 on 1; because, solutions MUST be uniquely suited to that golfer. What works for one person could easily destroy another's entire game.

I posted this idea up a few weeks ago if lightning struck and I was to get the GC gig. I'd have a particular theme for the day. Shoulder rotation, leg action, hip action, ball placement... etc. Pick that one theme and then go out and give two on the spot lessons at someones home course. Pre-picked swings where they are having problems with whatever that particular theme is of the day.

Then I would also take a look at one "Tour" player (any tour) and point out the good or bad of what they are doing relative to the theme.

Lastly, a hot assistant. A necessary evil to keep eyes on the program. Someone who reads me questions, grabs clubs for me, or use as demonstration. Just a good looking girl that guys will watch 60 minutes just to get 2 minutes of her.

You may think that's selling out, but to me it's just good business.

Status
Not open for further replies.