"Impact" Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Trackman's in the mood to change labels, I vote that their definition of "Swing Plane" be changed to now be called "Impact Plane," since it is not really representing the plane of the entire swing, but merely the moments around impact.

Thoughts?

Sorry for those who opened up this thread expecting some grand, new discovery... :)

S

SteveT

Impact is a point function ... where is the 'plane' ??? ...:confused:

dbl

New
Impact plane is okay for ...impact. But how do you say something about the golfer's overall swing look..like whether a golfer has high hands or low ones at the top of their back swing?

What about shifts? Is this stuff still valid: that they come down the turned shoulder plane or shift onto the elbow plane...

What about shifts? Is this stuff still valid: that they come down the turned shoulder plane or shift onto the elbow plane...

This, for me, was the most confusing thing in TGM. Elbow, turned shoulder, turning shoulder, plane shift etc. I never understood the terms in the context of a dynamic golf swing where all body/club positions are in continuous change. I may be wrong but it seems that trying to differentiate an extremely complex equation of motion while making a golf swing would be beyond most of us.

We are just trying to get the club face zeroed out at impact. Some can do it with a lot of power and consistency, others cannot. For those who cannot, toss the voodoo and go see Brian and his team.

Drew

I'm just talking specifically about the "swing plane" that is measured by Trackman and Flightscope. Sorry, not referring to any planes occurring in the swing movement.

I think it should be referred to as something else so as not be confused with other planes that take place in the swing. Kind of to avoid this type of misunderstanding...

:)

Another gap in the Trackman/Flightscope terminology:

We have "Spin Loft" for the difference/angle between Angle of Attack and Dynamic Loft. Great. What about a label for the same relationship horizontally?

The difference between horizontal path and horizontal face. "Horizontal Spin Loft?" "Lateral Spin Loft?" Or does it not matter in the least...?

The difference between horizontal path and horizontal face. "Horizontal Spin Loft?" "Lateral Spin Loft?" Or does it not matter in the least...?

I think, on his last show, Martin Hall spoke about this and called it "Differential." I don't mind that term at all.

Ready......Aim.......Fire!

Impact plane is okay for ...impact. But how do you say something about the golfer's overall swing look..like whether a golfer has high hands or low ones at the top of their back swing?

I realize I will probably catch some heat for this but here I go. The more I think about things.....does anything matter other than impact.....high hands, low hands, turned shoulder plane, elbow plane...yadda yadda yadda. Do what ever you can with whatever physical limitations you have in the pursuit of maximizing YOUR impact conditions. No doubt, with the aid of a "well trained" instructor your search will be made easier. The bottom line is that YOU need to understand what YOU need to do in order to achieve this. Some need to wear 2 gloves, some need to grip crosshanded, some need to swing flat, some need to..........stand on their head if it helps. OK fire away...I'm ready!

Would it be helpful if the new trackman definitions were posted up? I suggested once that we change to that terminology because I think it is simpler to understand. I don't have time at the moment - volunteers?

I could be dead wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if all the plane terminology from TGM and other sources is abandoned completely in 1.68, replaced by hand, arm, shoulder, butt end and sweet spot positions and trajectories at certain important times in the swing. I don't think Brian mentioned the word "plane" once in his analysis of the "laid off" swing.

I am hoping this is the case because frankly it would be a relief to stop worrying about planes.

Drew

Reading through "A conversation with Dr. Aaron Zick" in The Journal of Applied Golf Research (thejagr.com), and see that Dr. Zick did in fact use this very term In his response to the Haney/Congruent Angles question.

If Dr. Zick is a reader of this forum, I'd be curious to know if it's a term that already existed, he made up, or was influenced by this thread.

If you aren't a subscriber to The JAGR, and you enjoy this forum, you should consider the very reasonable subscription fee and join.

EDIT: James Leitz also uses this term in his article featured in The JAGR...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.