Irons rusting

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pitching wedge and 7 iron are now proud owners of a nice little brown spot right in the middle of the face. I've heard WD-40, Comet, etc. What really works to keep it down? Or is this all just like picking out a watermelon? Everyone thinks they know the answer, but it's all a bunch of hocus pocus and a bit of luck.

Personally I just leave the rust there. It doesn't have any material impact on the shot. I have read however that all you can do is remove it with say a scotch-brite pad until it returns.

Erik_K

New
It might be impossible to prevent rust from happening (depends on the material) but you can probably help prevent too much rust from building up by:

Clean/wipe the clubs down after each round
Use some steel wool from time to time (CLR may work as well) to clean the clubs
The environment also plays a role: leaving the clubs in a hot humid environment vs storing in an air conditioned closet makes a difference

If the clubs are made from a mild steel, it might be tough to prevent rusting entirely. But some regular cleaning might keep the corrosion at bay (or not very noticeable).

Enjoy Coca-Cola

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JkHyARsjNEg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All I have is Pepsi. Same thing? Coke gives me heartburn. Hmm...but I DO like me some DIET COKE. All right I'll give that a whirl. Thanks guys.

Vinegar and a tooth brush is probably your best bet. From the above video, i'm betting you would have a bit of trouble getting the aluminum foil in the grooves, so some 0000 steel wool would probably do the trick as long as you are very gentle, but you might want to consider something softer like copper wool, or a nylon brush (tooth brush) or scrubber. Your best bet is to try and control the moisture. Make sure they are clean and dry after each round. From repeated use eventually the chrome will get worn off of the iron's face and it will expose the raw steel so you will have to maintain them regularly.

Really any carbonated drink will help take off rust. The carbonation is carbon dioxide dissolved in water, which results in carbonic acid. Cola's also usually contain citric acid, and phosphoric acid, although not in particularly strong concentrations. Cola contains much less citric acid then orange juice, and a very small concentration of phosphoric acid. Also the acids in your belly are much, much stronger then the acids in the beverages. Now I'm not saying you should vomit on your golf clubs to remove the rust, I'm just saying that acid in cola is harmless unless you drink it constantly in which case eventually it might damage the enamel on your teeth.

I keep them clean and dry, and usually store them in the closet. Deep clean them a couple times a month. They're about 5 years old though and I practice a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.