jimmy mclean on perfection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post. I like McLean more and more. Would anyone advocate Choi's move as a model? I doubt it, but he wins with his own swing.

Although I was under the impression that TGM was off limits here I'm surprised that Jimmy spent a day with Homer yet considers the book a "method". The "88 step swing" (or is it 8.... I forget) is a method. I'll have to shoot him an email asking about that. :) Lots of pots calling kettles black imo.

Certainly there seem to be camps that are a bit dogmatic about things that are preferred or imperatives, but does Bmanz consider TGM a method?

ej20

New
TGM is not a method but most instructors who teach it develop a method based on their interpretation of the book.

The most common interpretation is STLOC and it results in this....

YouTube - Paul Smith & James Ramsey

Basically,TGM instructors often make students overdo principles that are scientifically wrong.

TGM claims it covers all methods.I say BS.

Good post. I like McLean more and more. Would anyone advocate Choi's move as a model? I doubt it, but he wins with his own swing.

I think Choi's move is a great model to teach a hooker, just like David Toms' move, straight from NHA, but I agree you hit the ball great because of the numbers at impact, not because things looked great a P2, P3, and P4, or any of a certain number of "steps" for that matter. Although I think McLean's steps are a little bit more of general principles than laws.

How is 8 step swing a method? Better question have you read it?

Book talks about the swing in terms of parameters of where the club can be, no exact positions.

Someone has to explain how a book of components is a method? Isn't it the opposite?

Listen to the audio phone call with Homer. The caller clearly asks a bunch of "can you do this and this" and every time Homer says "you can do anything" with the premise of that might not work as well as "this".

And since when does SnT=TGM?

Last edited by a moderator:
If TGM is a collection of components that can be rearranged thousands of different ways, why does it seem that most teachers who are heavily influenced off of TGM, teach patterns that end up looking the same? I understand people within those camps claim that they're not following a method and you can "swing your own way" within the teachings. But from an outsiders point of view, if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck, and quacks like a duck.... It's a left leaning swing...

If TGM is a collection of components that can be rearranged thousands of different ways, why does it seem that most teachers who are heavily influenced off of TGM, teach patterns that end up looking the same? I understand people within those camps claim that they're not following a method and you can "swing your own way" within the teachings. But from an outsiders point of view, if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck, and quacks like a duck.... It's a left leaning swing...

You mean like Brian? When he was heavily TGM he still taught a bunch of patterns.

Everyone has preferences no doubt but I don't see a rigid ideal from the people I read on the net, from a collective standpoint, we can all find a few who do this or that.

the answer is not because they are more talented / have great hands / have great timing to compensate for their inferior technique

You mean like Brian? When he was heavily TGM he still taught a bunch of patterns.

Everyone has preferences no doubt but I don't see a rigid ideal from the people I read on the net, from a collective standpoint, we can all find a few who do this or that.

That's kind of my point. Brian never advocated one set method. But based on advertising and such, it seems these other camps are based in one set method. That's coming from what I've observed as an outsider. Now I've heard that these guys don't control their advertising campaigns, but if it's their baby then why would they let their "method" be so wildly misinterpreted by the general public? Hell they've even got tour players on the commercial saying "You've got to try this swing!" How can I interpret that any differently than being a method? I'm not trying to be difficult or insulting. This is simply my perspective. I'm sure there is some variation in their teachings, but it's absolutely not presented that way up front.

dbl

New
Aside from a few notable exceptions, from what I can see, the TGM instructors with the loudest voices are 1 pattern guys. That seems tough to deny.

Maybe TGM Instructors who tend to teach a handful of patterns tend to be quieter and less boisterous and get let publicity.

Of course, one of Brian's fortes was to fix the people who had been run through the various method mills (tgm or not) and who had came out hurtin.

That's kind of my point. Brian never advocated one set method. But based on advertising and such, it seems these other camps are based in one set method. That's coming from what I've observed as an outsider. Now I've heard that these guys don't control their advertising campaigns, but if it's their baby then why would they let their "method" be so wildly misinterpreted by the general public? Hell they've even got tour players on the commercial saying "You've got to try this swing!" How can I interpret that any differently than being a method? I'm not trying to be difficult or insulting. This is simply my perspective. I'm sure there is some variation in their teachings, but it's absolutely not presented that way up front.

I am not sure Bennett and Plummer have ever been TGM AI's?

I agree they do espouse their method and would not fit into what I would call TGM type instruction. Not that its wrong because I like a lot of it but to say you need to do this or that is not what I buy into.

Aside from a few notable exceptions, from what I can see, the TGM instructors with the loudest voices are 1 pattern guys. That seems tough to deny.

Maybe TGM Instructors who tend to teach a handful of patterns tend to be quieter and less boisterous and get let publicity.

Of course, one of Brian's fortes was to fix the people who had been run through the various method mills (tgm or not) and who had came out hurtin.

your first sentence, I would not say Brian is quite.

your second sentence, well Brian did not fit that mold

who are these dogma pattern guys who are TGM AI's?

Some TGM people seem to want to have their cake and eat it.

Basically, there are two 'TGM's and people switch between them depending on how the argument is going: there is the catalogue and the 'preferred' method.

Non-TGM player: I just play.
TGM Answer: You are TGM, you just don't know it. It's all in there. It is just a catalogue of possible components.

Non-TGM player: I use my body to start my takeaway/
Answer: That's inferior! Right Forearm Takeaway is mandatory. You are a compensating piece of crap!!!

It is this 'mandatory' and 'recommended' and 'compensations' rubbish that adds up to TGM being to all intents and purposes a method.

Basically, any "catalogue" has a view and cannot be unbiased.

And no, I haven't read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.