Just want to introduce myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I was bored the other night and decided to type in "golfing machine" on you tube. I found Brian's video and then this site. I'm quite familiar with the Golfing Machine and forums(mostly through my fitness obsession) so this should be fun.

Started playing golf when I was 7 (22 now) and took lessons on a regular basis with Ben Doyle from ages 15-18. I played golf competitively- local junior stuff, AJGA, USGA and then one year at a Division I school. After my first year of college golf, I basically quit and got really into fitness. I haven't talked to Ben in a while (I really need to) but I own his mat, book, and countless videos of me getting lessons.

It's been 4 years since I have really even picked up a club. But, I am getting back into it. Nothing major though. Just hitting some putts, chips, and pitches. I'll probably just stick with that for a while before hitting balls and taking it to the course. Reading around here should be fun as I know there are not too many places to discuss the golfing machine. It's amazing though, I really haven't lost much. Thinking about the correct motion, watching golf on the weekend and just 'knowing' what to do goes a long way. Ben always says you don't have to actually hit balls to practice.

All for now...sustain the lag!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
It's amazing though, I really haven't lost much. Thinking about the correct motion, watching golf on the weekend and just 'knowing' what to do goes a long way. Ben always says you don't have to actually hit balls to practice.

All for now...sustain the lag!

Those words could be some of the best i have ever seen written in what TGM and an instructor that knows how to apply it can do for a student.

Welcome and look foward to your contributions

Quickone, you are killing me here. You were good enough to play D1 golf and you quit? You had access to Ben Doyle, and you quit? Not judging here at all, but there is nothing (other than my wife and 2 kids) in this world that I love more than this game, even when I am stinking up the place, I can't imagine ever quitting. Best of luck to you, and welcome.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Welcome to the place...

...where you can meet old friends you knew, and ones you didn't know you had.

...where you'll get the very best information on the golf swing.

...where Ben Doyle is fully apprieciated.

Welcome, and nice to meet you.:)

Quickone, you are killing me here. You were good enough to play D1 golf and you quit? You had access to Ben Doyle, and you quit? Not judging here at all, but there is nothing (other than my wife and 2 kids) in this world that I love more than this game, even when I am stinking up the place, I can't imagine ever quitting. Best of luck to you, and welcome.

Long story short, college golf was too team oriented for me. I got lost in the shuffle, and lost some of my passion. College golf was what I was striving formy entire teenage life but it turned out to be the complete opposite of what I imagined. I had nowhere to play and I was so used to playing everywhere for free. I felt like there was nothing left to practice for and everything slowly faded. I used to not be able to go a day without touching a club and now four years has flown by.:eek: I also had to decide between an education and continuing to pursue golf. It just didn't make sense.

I'm looking forward to starting from scratch. If I don't get on the course for a while, that is okay. But, I will watch videos of my lessons and reports some notes here :)) ), get on my mat, chip and putt.

Nice to meet you all.

I have HOURS of tape with Ben and I but I did manage to watch 15 minutes or so when we did some putting. Interestingly enough, we rarely ever worked on putting unless it was a playing lesson. Here were some take home points though:

1) a vertical left wrist

2) grip the putter under the heal pad

3) know your power source- is it hands, arms, shoulders or pivot?

4) every putt is straight- putt to a point where the ball breaks

5) An easy drill to check your set up and make sure everything is at right angles....

You will find the that flags on the putting green create shadows. Walk up to one and place the face of your putter on that shadow line created by the flag. You want your shaft to cover the shadow. You will find that this has your hands in a positon that FEELS way ahead but it is not. This is impact fix.

More later.:)

Been watching some more video. Here are some more take hom points:

1) Backswing is 3-dimensional; backwards, upwards and inwards.

2) We are making a motion, not hitting shots.

3) A downswing driving by the pivot leads to a quiet stop.

4) Approach the ball with left shoulder high, right shoulder low, to set the right forearm on plane.

5) Right forearm should be upward as at approaches the knees on the downswing. An 'upper cut' like the karate kid.:D

6) Hands are always passively aiming.

7) Left arm looks like it's way past the left knee but it's not. It's parallel to the left leg. Feel like you are 'going to go right by it' but the pivot will throw the clubhead towards the ball.

8) A snap release is like no release at all.

Two drills:

1) Hold on to two clubs; one in the left hand, one in the right. They should be mirror images through out the swing. This helps work on the correct wrist conditions.

2) Ben's favorite- drawing lines in the sand, working on the setup and taking the left edge out.

---------------------------------------

I am going to go to the AT & T on Sunday and am going to try to swing by and see Ben. I hope he's there.:)

Could you elaborate?

"7) Left arm looks like it's way past the left knee but it's not. It's parallel to the left leg. Feel like you are 'going to go right by it' but the pivot will throw the clubhead towards the ball."

Thanks, Cliff

hg

New
Welcome

QO

Thanks for sharing the wealth of knowledge that you must have acquired thru Ben and your own experiences...hope you can reconnect with the passion for the game that you must have once had. There are many here who will enjoy and appreciate what you share with us.

HG

More notes...

1) do all your houskeeping before the shot- i.e. a good pre-shot routine.

2) Ben says putting crosshanded is the 'best way to putt'. It puts your left wrist flat and your right forearm on planes.

3) body placement, club control, THEN ball control.

4) lag is to golf as buyoncy is to a boat or lift and drag to an airplane.

5) The arms and hands are always pushing through extensor action. You can feel this by grabbing a towel with a split hand grip and 'pushing' the fibers apart.

Great stuff can you or someone else explain "a downswing driving by the pivot leads to a quiet stop"

From what I understand, the left shoulder is always leading and the hands are passively aiming. The hands are also 'along for the ride'. So, the hands are being pulled along by the pivot. When done correctly, this leads to so called quiet hands and results in a quiet stop at the end of the motion. No bounce back.

Status
Not open for further replies.